Thursday, September 25, 2008

Parmesan-Coated Turkey Cutlets (Page 387)

RECIPE #835

  • Date: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 -- 6pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: B-

The Poultry section of The Book is the section I am moving slowest on (only 41.2% complete), so I am making an effort to eat more poultry. I love poultry. I also love beef, veal, pork, and lamb, yet that meaty section is my third slowest (at 46.8% complete). Why am I so far behind on all the meat? Basically it is because I am too busy to grocery shop more than once a week. I do all my shopping on Saturdays, and if I buy enough meat for one or two dishes (or even three) I can use it before it gets too old. But, as you may have noticed, I am more than a little concerned about food safety, so I don't want my raw meat to sit around too long before I use it. I should probably get in the habit of buying meat for four or five recipes, and freezing some of it for later in the week, but I haven't been doing that yet. So I stock up on meat on Saturday, and then try to cook it all at the beginning of the week. Usually that works out OK. This week I made the congee with a whole chicken on Saturday. Sunday I went to a department party so I didn't make dinner. Monday I went on my long run instead of cooking. And then it was Tuesday and I had turkey cutlets still rotting in the fridge. Making them Wednesday wasn't going to be an option, and by Thursday they would surely not pass my food safety standards! So I made them Tuesday. The thing that was a little ridiculous about it was that I already had dinner plans on Tuesday. So I made these cutlets, and then ate something else with a friend for dinner. I didn't throw them out -- I saved them for lunches. But it was still an odd thing to do, and it is this type of situation that discourages me from buying too much meat on my Saturday grocery run.

Anyway, I bought turkey cutlets on Saturday, so on Tuesday I cooked them. This recipe was very simple: I dipped the turkey cutlets in a batter of egg, cheese, and parsley, and then cooked them on the stove top in butter and oil. The main problem was that the batter didn't stick so well. A few clumps of it adhered to the cutlets, but those clumps ended up tasting like scrambled eggs. And much of the cutlet wasn't covered at all. So basically I ended up with a turkey cutlet fried in butter and oil (which tastes good!) with some patches of scrambled egg on it (not so good...). It wasn't as bad as that really, but it seemed odd to me that they didn't have a step where you dipped the cutlet in flour before dipping in the egg mixture. That is very typical, and helps an egg batter adhere evenly. If I made this recipe again, I would definitely add that step in. The flavor of the dish was still ok -- the cheese flavor was nice with the turkey, but it was so poorly distributed that there were many bites where it was hard to appreciate. This recipe was very quick, and produced something definitely edible, but I certainly wouldn't make it again as it is written.

Here is the recipe.

2 comments:

Liz C said...

The freezer is your friend, really, as long as you have your thawing routine worked out.

Throwing the meat in the fridge the night before is supposed to work, but I am usually too impatient for that. I usually end up using the microwave (tricky) or doing the 'bowl in the sink with a stream of cold water' thing, like this.

Hey, it's from Purdue. Of course you can trust it.
:)

Teena said...

Yeah, you're right. I need to incorporate the freezer more into my meat-buying plan. I bought and froze some shrimp last week, then used the bowl of cold water thawing method, and they turned out great!