Thursday, September 04, 2008

Cilantro Lime Shrimp (Page 46)

RECIPE #821

  • Date: Sunday, August 31, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Mike M, Teresa, Paul K, and Beth
  • Recipe Rating: A-

My special gentleman and I had a little dinner party on Sunday, and I wanted to do 6 or 7 recipes from The Book that night, which, without careful planning, can be a lot. But I was organized and did most of the prep on Saturday, so on Sunday there was hardly anything left to do. This is a dangerous situation. I have done this before (prepped most of the meal the day before), and in my idleness on the day of the dinner I almost always manage to convince myself that we don't have enough food. On this occasion it was a touch different -- I convinced myself not that we didn't have enough food, but instead that all the food was going to be gross. In my own defense, this belief was based on having sampled a bit of the soup for the dinner and having concluded that indeed it was gross. So there I was, concerned that there would be nothing edible to serve to a group of people that I like very much, so I wanted to add another recipe to the meal. But I had a lot of things to do on Sunday, completely unrelated to this dinner party. So I wanted something quick and likely to be tasty. Hence I selected these shrimp. It was a bad call on my part. Indeed the shrimp were quick to make, and indeed they were tasty. But although the shrimp were quick to make, they were not quick to find. It took four grocery stores before we could find raw shrimp. That's right: four. Ah, small town Midwest. I knew that grocery store number 4 would have them from the start, but it was the furthest away, and we were in a hurry and I figured everywhere else would have them too. Nope. My special gentleman and I went to grocery stores 1 and 2 after our long-run (still sweaty and in our running clothes). I went to grocery store 3 myself, and my special gentleman was the one who finally drove all the way to grocery store 4. So was it worth it?

Yes, it was. These shrimp were quite good. The preparation was incredibly simple. I started by making a mixture of garlic, salt, lime juice, orange marmalade, cilantro, olive oil, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and pepper. Some of this mixture was set aside to be the dipping sauce for the shrimp and the rest was used as a marinade. After 15 minutes of marinading, the shrimp were cooked on the stove until just cooked through and served with the reserved dipping sauce. It was as simple as that. The result: yummy. The shrimp were very flavorful, and the dipping sauce was definitely a winner. It was very well balanced -- the lime and cilantro flavors came through clearly, the marmalade enhanced the citrus tones from the lime and added a note of sweetness, and the red pepper gave it a touch of heat. My one complaint is that it was a little too salty. I think the soy sauce was largely to blame for that. When I make this again I will use low-salt soy sauce instead, since I thought the soy flavor worked well, but the saltiness was too much. Overall though, it was a great recipe, and once I had the shrimp in hand it was super-quick to make!

This recipe isn't online.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! the soup was good. OK a bit weird, But good.

The shrimp were good too.
Paul

Teena said...

I'll agree with the "weird" part, but not-so-much the "good" part.