Thursday, September 11, 2008

Crispy Macadamia-Nut Fried Ice Cream Balls (Page 872)

RECIPE #826

  • Date: Sunday, August 31, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Paul K, Lauren K, Beth, Mike M, and Teresa
  • Recipe Rating: B


I love ice cream and I love to deep fry, but strangely, I had never made fried ice cream before I made this recipe. The start to finish time on this recipe was quite long, but only because there were many stages at which the ice cream balls had to spend a few hours in the freezer. The method was simple enough. I used a 1-ounce ice cream scoop (that Vero got me off my Gourmet Project Wishlist -- thanks Vero!!!) to scoop out many little balls of vanilla ice cream. I put the balls on a cookie sheet and froze them until very hard (about 3 hours). Meanwhile, I toasted and ground up some macadamia nuts. When the ice cream balls were nice and hard, I took them out of the freezer, rolled them individually in the ground nuts, and put them back on the baking sheet and back in the freezer for a couple hours. Once they were nice and frozen again, I dipped them in beaten egg and rolled them in ground up corn flakes. Then they went back in the freezer for another couple hours. Finally, another layer of egg and cornflake, and another few hours in the freezer. After all that, they were ready to fry! I deep fried them immediately before serving, dusted them with powdered sugar, and served them with chocolate and caramel sauces. They turned out pretty well. I loved the contrast between the hot crispy outside and the cold, creamy inside of these little balls. It wasn't the best fried ice cream I have had though. For one thing, I thought the dish would have been better either without the nuts or with ground pecans in place of the macadamia nuts. Also, the ratio of coating to ice cream was too high. The balls of ice cream were so little to start with that they more than doubled in diameter when the coatings were added. It was too much. That said, these deep fried balls of ice cream certainly weren't bad. If I were going to make fried ice cream again though, I would look for a better recipe.

Here is the recipe.

So there I was, yesterday afternoon, teaching my business calculus class when my students started to act a little restless. The front few rows of students were staring out the door and whispering to one another. I didn't think much of it -- it was the last 5 minutes of class and I figured that there was just someone interesting standing in the hallway. That door has a window in it, so the goings-on in the hallway can be seen by most of my class. You can't see the window from the board though, so I wasn't sure what they were staring at. I just kept on talking, doing an example on the board about exponential growth.

With a couple minutes left in class, the door slowly opened. I figured it was an extra-eager student from the next class, but then I saw my special gentleman walk through the doorway. I was completely confused. My class was too. Apparently, he had been standing with his ear pressed against the door for 15 minutes and they were all worried he was some crazy person.

I gave him my why-are-you-here look, and then I said, slowly, "Hello."

He walked into the classroom, walked right up to the front of the room, looked quizzically at the mathematics on the board then turned to me and said, "I have a question."

I said, skeptically, "OK."

And then, in front of my 80 students he got down on one knee, held out a diamond ring, and asked, "Will you marry me?"

(*insert shocked look here*)

I said, "Yes!"

The whole class started cheering. It was quite a moment.

So there it is. After a seriously bold proposal, my special gentleman and I are engaged! Wow! We went out for an amazing dinner last night to celebrate. We are both extremely excited, and I will undoubtedly post more details as I have them. Yay!

Now, I just need to figure out how I am going to face my class tomorrow! :)

23 comments:

Mike Hill said...

Such wonderful news! Yay!

Deniz said...

I love how Matt proposed!! Very creative. I laughed at the "what are you doing here look". I'm so excited for you guys!

Elizabeth said...

Congrats!

Kitchen Vixen said...

Hooray!! Congratulations! I've been lurking for a bit now (since that article came out...) so I feel a tad involved- I wondered if this was going to happen soon!

Kevin said...

Congratulations! That's wonderful news!

Liz C said...

OMG -- I actually got tears in my eyes! Congrats and best wishes to you both.

beth said...

Congratulations! I've been reading your blog for a few months so I feel like I know you a little bit! Can't wait to hear all the details!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!
--a many-time anon

vero said...

Veronique, long time listener, first time caller.

Good job Matt!!

David B said...

Thats great, congratulations!
Wow, what a class

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Congratulations! How sweet.

Anonymous said...

For such a dedicated teacher as you seem to be, this is the sweetest proposal ever!
Might have my boyfriend read this entry!:-D
Congratulations from an italian blog reader!
PS I'm sure you scored points with your students, don't worry!
C

ana rita said...

yay!!!!!!!
(a memorable recipe, ahem, blog entry)

John and Katie Flanagan said...

Congratulations from the Netherlands! Now I have to wonder if your wedding food will be from the book!

Anonymous said...

I don't even know you, but when I read your post about your two-year celebrations, I thought that there might be a proposal in there. But in math class...that is such a grat surprise. Congrats to you both! With all your experience with good wedding food, I'm sure you'll find some good stuff for yours.

Beth said...

Delurking to say how happy I am for you. I'm a long-time reader and even though we've never met, I couldn't help but let out a little squeal when I read your post. :) The internet is a strange place! Congrats!

Adam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam said...

Congratulations, Teena! I'm sure that with all of the great food you've been feeding him, your special gentleman knows what a great catch he's got. All the best to both of you.

Paul said...

and they ate happily ever after!

Teena said...

Thanks you guys! You are really sweet!

Magdalen said...

Congratulations, Teena & Matt -- May you enjoy every happiness in this new stage of your lives together. And congratulations on a wonderful way to propose -- everyone loves stories like that one. (My husband wrote me a cryptic crossword puzzle that had three possible answers in the grid: Yes I Will; No I Won't; and Don't Know. I got to highlight the answer I wanted.)

Melissa Bach Palladino said...

A+ to Matt for awesome proposal! I hope you two have a wonderful, joyous journey together.

Anonymous said...

Just heard about this today, then went reading though the blog to see if there was a mention. What do you know, there was. Congratulations!

--mg