Monday, May 11, 2009

Manchamantel Sauce (Page 484)

RECIPE #984

  • Date: Sunday, April 26, 2009 -- 4pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: A whole bunch of mathematicians and their families!
  • Recipe Rating: A-


Every spring our department has a picnic where everyone brings some food and we grill, drink beer, and have fun enjoying the spring-time weather. I had planned to bring a delicious dessert to said picnic, but that was the weekend my oven broke. So instead I brought some kebabs to grill. This was the sauce for the kebabs. My special gentleman did much of the work to make this sauce. He started by toasting dried ancho chiles on the stovetop, then seeding them and soaking them in boiling water for 30 minutes. We cooked garlic and onion in oil until golden, then added sugar and cider vinegar. We then put that all in the blender, along with the drained chiles, chicken stock, water, pineapple, bananas, cinnamon, cloves, salt and pepper, blending until smooth. We then cooked the sauce in some oil, simmering for 5 minutes. This sauce was (obviously) not so photogenic, but it was tasty! It had a nice depth of flavor to it, and a lovely tanginess. It was definitely on the sweet side (with sugar, pineapple, and banana in it!) but that sweetness was a great complement to the grilled pork that we served the sauce on. It wasn't spicy at all -- it might have been nice to have a little kick. But it was still a great sauce, and I would certainly serve it again with grilled meat.

The recipe is here.

Happy belated Mother's Day! We drove to Ohio this weekend, to surprise my special gentleman's mother for Mother's Day. She was indeed surprised -- she almost fell over when she saw us! It was a nice, relaxing weekend. We ate good food, played board games, went to a concert that my special gentleman's mom was performing in, etc... We had a fun time! It was a nice end-of-the-semester mini-vacation.

I was feeling pretty relaxed until the phone rang, about 30 minutes after we arrived back home in Bloomington this afternoon. It was the place where we bought my special gentleman's suit for our wedding (which, notably, we haven't yet received because they had to order it). They were calling to tell us that they filed for bankruptcy. Awesome. After several phone calls we established that we may or may not get the suit (which we were scheduled to pick up on Wednesday). If we do get it, we may or may not get it in time for the wedding. And if we don't get it, we may or may not get our money back. Like I said, awesome. So what do we do? We don't want to buy another suit without knowing if we are going to get the one we already paid for! And my special gentleman doesn't own a suit that fits so it's not like he can just wear one he has. And the company doesn't know when they will know anything. And our wedding is less than three weeks away, which isn't much time since my special gentleman is so thin that almost any suit needs to be special ordered or at least altered. It's just a shitty situation. I spent a while on the phone with a very nice lady this afternoon, trying to get some answers, which unfortunately she didn't have. After a while, she said, "If I were you, I would institute your back-up plan." My back-up plan? Sometimes I think to develop a Plan B, but I didn't see this little snag coming. I can honestly say that I have never had the experience where a company I have paid money to has gone bankrupt before giving me what I paid for.

*sigh* Time to develop that back-up plan I guess!

3 comments:

M and M said...

The back-up plan is a lovely linen shirt and a pair of linen pants and .... he'll look handsome even if he arrives wearing a potato sack! Oh Teena, sorry for the crapola phone call - that just makes for a story you can tell for the rest of your lives :-) (a good seamstress locally can alter pants in a day or two if you have to go to plan B)

p.s. Dev decided on UW Madison and is thrilled! (No good money from other places and she has no interest in graduatign in serious debt - plus, UW is superb for science - so it's a winner for her)

Katie said...

I think you can rent a suit from a tux rental store-- like After Hours. I seem to remember them having more than tuxedos...

By the way, I have enjoyed reading your blog and commenting for at least the last year. You do such a great, thorough job! I recently started a food blog with my sister and thought you might want to check it out!

http://twosistersinthekitchen.blogspot.com/

Teena said...

Meghan -- Yeah, we bought some dress pants and a nice shirt, so he'll wear that if he has to. As Matt said, "No matter what I wear, it's not going to ruin our wedding." He is certainly right about that!

That's awesome about Devin! Yay! You must be happy that she will be so close by!

Katie -- Yeah, I think we will check out rental stores and see what they have.

Thanks for reading! And good luck with your new blog!