Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Grilled Shrimp Remoulade (Page 324)

RECIPE #982

  • Date: Saturday, April 25, 2009 -- 1pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I bought the shrimp to make this recipe so long ago that they had some pretty nasty freezerburn when I thawed them to actually make it. Pretty gross. My special gentleman insisted that he would eat them though, freezerburn and all, so I proceeded with the recipe. I started by making the remoulade. I mixed together mustard, white wine vinegar, vegetable oil, parsley, horseradish, dill pickle, scallion greens, paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Then I deveined my shrimp, leaving the shells on, and tossed them with oil, salt, and pepper. After that the shrimp were meant to be grilled, but we have no grill. The Book lists the broiler as an alternative, so that's what I did. I broiled the shrimp until they were cooked through, then I tossed them in the sauce. These shrimp were very tasty! The recipe seemed strange to me because the shrimp were tossed in the sauce with their shells still on, but the sauce did manage to penetrate into the shrimp meat. The remoulade had an excellent flavor. All the strong flavors were balanced perfectly to create something really nice. It was spicy, and vinegary, and pungent -- and delicious! My one complaint is that the shrimp were hard to eat since they were cooked in their shells and then drenched in sauce. It was messy! I would like to try this again, grilling the shrimp. I have no doubt that would also be delicious -- maybe even better.

The recipe is here.

My apologies for the ridiculously long blog silence. Partly I haven't blogged because I have been busy. I taught my last class of the semester on Friday and then went to straight to the airport to fly to Minneapolis for the weekend to speak at a conference at the University of Minnesota. But usually even when I am busy I try to make time to blog at least every couple days. Lately, though, I have been in a bit of a funk. It all started with a hair appointment last week. It was my pre-wedding hair trial (yes, such things exist). The woman who did my hair was nice and my hair looked cute after she did it, but something about the experience made me really lonely. It was the kind of appointment where it's so much better to have someone with you (to make fun of you, to give her opinion, etc...). And I have several great friends (plus my mother) who would all be perfect for the job. But everyone lives so far away! It turns out that planning a wedding is a lonely experience when all of your close friends live hundreds (or thousands!) of miles away. This is the trouble with moving around so much I guess... In any event, my special gentleman would be willing to come along on various wedding errands, but let's admit it, he's just not the right person for the job. While shopping for white shoes and a matching handbag sounds pretty fun to me with the right friend, it would likely be a not-so-fun experience with my special gentleman. He doesn't like to shop.

So I have been a lonely bride in a bad mood. But I decided today I am going to snap out of it. There's not that much left to do, and Emilee will be here three weeks from today (!) to help. So I am going to suck it up. That's the plan.

2 comments:

Erica said...

Book lurker here. Stumbled on the site because I own the book and look for advice (and love it!) We got married last July. I did the hair trial by myself. I did a lot of things by myself. I was an out of town bride. The salon was closed when I did my trial. It actually meant that the hairstyle I picked WAS MINE. Done and done. Own your priorities. Whatever they are, own them. You will be gorgeous, no matter what. Own your priorities. The rest will be fine.

Teena said...

Erica -- Thanks for the advice! I am trying to do just that!