Friday, April 02, 2010

Fettuccine Alfredo (Page 211)

RECIPE #1130

  • Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: Berkeley, CA
  • Kitchen: Our Temporary California Home
  • Dining Companions: Matty and Phil O.
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I can't explain the logic by which I hadn't already made a super-quick dish consisting of carbs drenched in butter, cream, and cheese, but I hadn't and I figured it was about time! I started by cooking egg fettuccine until al dente. I melted a bunch of butter in a pot, then added the cooked pasta. I added grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, some reserved pasta cooking water, heavy cream, more butter, salt, and pepper and tossed. I sprinkled it with some more cheese and served. That was it! This dish was incredibly decadent, but delicious! Mmmmm.... pasta with cheesy cream sauce! It could have used a touch more salt to bring out the flavors more, but other than that I thought it was well-balanced and tasty. Definitely a keeper!

The recipe in The Book is very similar to this one.

We are headed up to Tahoe in a few minutes for a weekend of skiing. Well, truth be told I haven't decided yet whether or not I am going to ski, but my special gentleman is, as are the rest of the friends we are going with. I am excited about the weekend, but not so much about the trip up there. It is cold and rainy today in Berkeley, which translates to cold and snowy in the pass. Indeed, the most recent report says that chain controls are in effect. This is our third trip to Tahoe this season and we have yet to make it there and back without having chain controls to deal with. Every time I am baffled by it -- I grew up in the upper Midwest where it is quite snowy. But I had never seen a tire chain in my life until I moved to California for college. True, the Midwest is flat, but I have never seen anyone use chains on the east coast either, where they do have more substantial inclines. In any event, it could be a long drive tonight. On the bright side, all the snow today will probably make for some good skiing tomorrow!

No comments: