Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Tuna Burgers with Chimichurri (Page 298)

RECIPE #1134

  • Date: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: Berkeley, CA
  • Kitchen: Our Temporary California Home
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-
I chose this recipe as part of the All Seafood All The Time plan. I started by making the chimichurri, an Argentinian herb sauce. I toasted some cumin seeds, then ground them in a spice grinder. I added the ground cumin to a mixture of minced parsley, olive oil, sherry vinegar, minced garlic, crushed black peppercorns, cayenne, and salt. I refrigerated the mixture for 8 hours to allow the flavors to develop. I then chopped some sushi-grade tuna in the food processor. I stirred in some of the chimichurri and formed the mixture into patties. I refrigerated them for a couple hours, then cooked them in olive oil in a cast-iron skillet. I served the burgers topped with some sauteed onions on a sliced baguette. These burgers were really good. Indeed I could go for one right now! The burgers themselves were moist and flavorful, and the flavors from the chimichurri went very nicely with the onions. I had never served burgers on sliced baguette before, but it really worked in this case. The baguette made much more sense with these refined burgers than a hamburger bun would have. This was a great recipe which I would definitely make again. Definitely one of my favorite seafood dishes we have had lately!

This recipe isn't online.

Well I have been in the same city for three consecutive days now, which must mean it is about time to start traveling again! My special gentleman and I are headed up to Canada tomorrow. There is a conference over the weekend at a research institute in the Canadian Rockies. My special gentleman and I are in different, but related, fields of math (we both study topology, but he is a low-dimensional topologist, whereas I am an algebraic topologist), so we don't often attend conferences together, and it has never happened that we have spoken at the same conference. Until now. The conference this weekend is a topology conference, not specific to one particular area of topology, so it spans both of our areas of research. And we were both invited to speak. I am excited about the trip. The math research station is actually in the Banff National Park, so we will be surrounded by beauty. And I think we will have some time on Friday to do a little hiking. Plus, I haven't unpacked since we got back from Tahoe three days ago, so packing should be easy. I'll just throw my toiletries back in and I'll be ready to go! Ah, the advantages of nearly constant travel.

No comments: