Thursday, April 01, 2010

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie with Gingersnap Crust (Page 768)

RECIPE #1129

  • Date: Monday, March 15, 2010 -- 9pm
  • Location: Berkeley, CA
  • Kitchen: Our Temporary California Home
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Phil O., Baldwin, and Josh G.
  • Recipe Rating: B

I chose this recipe because I was desperate to take a break from all the seafood and make some dessert! I started by making the crust. I ground gingersnaps into crumbs, mixed them with some butter, and pressed them onto the bottom of a springform pan. I then baked the crust until golden brown. To make the filling I started by softening gelatin in bourbon. I beat together egg yolks and brown sugar for a long while, then added canned pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. I cooked the mixture in a saucepan to 160 degrees, then stirred in the gelatin mixure. I trasferred the mixture to a bowl which was set in a bowl filled with ice water. The Book said to cool it until it reached the consistency of raw egg whites. That instruction was super mysterious to me because my mixture was already way thicker than that. So I just cooled it for a few minutes and then removed it from the ice bath. I beat egg whites (I used reconstituted dried pastuerized egg whites), adding sugar and beating until they reached stiff peaks. I folded the whites into the pumpkin mixture. I beat heavy cream to stiff peaks and folded that in as well. I poured the filling over the crust and chilled until it was set. This dessert was pretty good. The texture of the pumpkin mousse was nice: more creamy than gelatinous. I liked the flavor of it ok, but I thought it was a bit over-spiced. The flavor of the pumpkin was masked more than I would have liked by the flavor of the ginger. The gingersnap crust came out extemely hard (perhaps having something to do with the brand of cookies I used?). I would have preferred a graham cracker crumb crust. In my opinion this wasn't as delicious as a traditional pumpkin pie, which would have also been less work, so I won't be making this recipe again. That said, it wasn't bad and we all enjoyed eating it well enough.

The recipe is here.

Right now I should be gearing up to make a dinner full of seafood delights. Mussel Chowder and Sea Bass Chermoula with Braised Fennel were on the menu for tonight. But instead of heading to the grocery store to buy some seafood, I am sitting on the couch with my feet up, contemplating a new dinner plan: carnitas tostada salad, rice pudding, and a margarita! It's my go-to meal at my favorite Berkeley Mexican place. Normally I wouldn't abandon a Book dinner in favor of eating out, but today I am making a special exception, because I am celebrating! I got word today that a math grant I applied for in the fall was recommended for funding. So I am happy! And I am going to celebrate with some Mexican food!

No comments: