Thursday, April 29, 2010

Parsley, Fennel, and Celery Root Salad (Page 147)

RECIPE #1152

  • Date: Saturday, April 24, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Emilee
  • Dining Companions: Brian, Sam, and Cornelia
  • Recipe Rating: D+


I chose this recipe as part of my birthday dinner at Emilee and Brian's! I put off this recipe for all these years because it really didn't sound good to me. But it was the last of the green salads remaining, and I love salad, so I thought I would finally give this recipe a shot. The result: it was worse than I expected. This salad was composed of flat leaf parsley sprigs, curly parsley sprigs, fennel, and celery root, with a lemon shallot dressing. The Book is really big on parsley. I end up cooking with it almost every day. But it would never in a million years have occurred to me to construct a salad where parsley is the main salad green. I have so many complaints about this recipe. One, the salad itself was so strongly flavored that I couldn't even taste the dressing. Two, those strong flavors were predominantly from parsley. And three (my major complaint), the texture was incredibly woody. I actually thought about spitting out the bite I had in my mouth because it was so unpleasant to chew. Between parsley stems and raw celery root, the texture was just awful. The one nice thing I can say about it was that it did look pretty. Not pretty enough for any of us to eat more than a couple bites though. Even Emilee, who loves parsley, rejected it. Not good. Not good at all.

The recipe is here.

I love being married. My special gentleman's birthday is tomorrow so I have been thinking lately about how to honor him on his special day. And I just keep coming back to that thought: I love being married. My special gentleman is amazing -- I definitely feel, every day, like I hit the husband jackpot. And I feel tremendously blessed. So I will cook him a big fancy dinner feast (because that's what I do...) and I will tell him that I love him, as I do every day. We will eat with friends and sing Happy Birthday. And it won't be enough. But I am not sure what I could possibly do that would be enough. I don't think there is anything I could say, or do, or buy, that would properly encapsulate how I feel about him and about us together. I love him. I love being married to him. I am so happy with him. And when I think about us, and our life together now and into the future, I feel overwhelmed with joy. *sigh* I love being married.

No comments: