Sunday, May 02, 2010

Fresh Fettuccine (Page 210)

RECIPE #1153

  • Date: Saturday, April 24, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Cornelia and Brian
  • Dining Companions: Sam and Emilee
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I wanted to make some component of my birthday dinner that I was pretty sure would be tasty. Between the parsley salad (see post below) and the fish jello (which will be my next post) I was not feeling optimistic. So I decided to make this recipe to add some deliciousness. This "recipe" was actually a little silly. It was for fresh fettuccine, but it called for only one ingredient: Pasta Dough. So really the "recipe" was just instructions for how to roll pasta dough into fettuccine. If you don't have a pasta maker, such instructions are useless. And if you do, you already know how to roll fettuccine. So it's not at all clear who this "recipe" is aimed at. In any event, I won't rehash this "recipe" in detail, but it was a perfectly fine set of instructions for rolling fettuccine, which Cornelia and I executed. My only complaint was that it said to roll through all the settings until you get to the narrowest one. If you are using the pasta maker attachment for the KitchenAid mixer (as I was, and many people do to roll pasta), the narrowest setting makes the pasta to thin for nice fettuccine. Other than that these instructions were fine. It started with pasta dough and produced fresh fettuccine, like this:

To get the dish in the picture at the top of the post (fettuccine with red pepper, prosciutto, and peas) you would need a good friend like Brian who was willing to take the fresh fettuccine pictured above and turn it into a delicious dish (which in this case, was not from The Book). As expected, it was delicious! I don't love the pasta dough in The Book (because it isn't easy to work with and doesn't have any oil in it), but these noodles were still tasty!

This recipe isn't online.

Friday was my special gentleman's birthday. We celebrated with a big dinner from The Book. Emilee and Brian were kind enough to host us, and I cooked the food. I went a little overboard. There was so much food, in fact, that it didn't fit on the dining table, so we had to let it overflow onto Sam's little drawing table:


Chris, Scarecrow, and Josh joined us for dinner. Here's a pre-dessert table picture of everyone but me:


We had a nice meal: Sherried Mushroom Empanaditas, Brandied Chicken Liver Pate, Grilled Summer Vegetables with Pesto, Pot-Au-Feu, and a Quince, Apple, and Almond Jalousie. Oh, an some flaming rum-soaked gummy bears (those, surprisingly enough, were not from The Book). Some dish were more successful that others, but overall it was a nice meal, with wonderful company! We had a festive low-key evening, which was what my special gentleman requested! He is an amazing husband and it was wonderful to celebrate his birthday!



No comments: