Thursday, May 06, 2010

Coffee Granita (Page 863)

RECIPE #1158

  • Date: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 -- 10pm
  • Location: Berkeley, CA
  • Kitchen: Our Temporary California Home
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companion: Josh G
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I felt like making dessert last week and this was one of the few I had left. My special gentleman made me some super strong coffee and dissolved some sugar in it. I then stirred in vanilla and poured it into a baking pan. I put the pan in the freezer, stirring every half hour until it was firm. I served the coffee granita topped with lightly sweetened whipped cream. This granita was pretty tasty. Since I am caffeine-free, I couldn't eat too much of it (especially because my special gentleman made the coffee incredibly strong), but my special gentleman happily cruised through several servings. He found it especially enjoyable after stirring the whipped cream into the granita to form what he called a "cappuccino granita." After a few bites he said, "I think Starbucks sells this item." If they don't, they should. This coffee slushy would be quite appealing to most coffee lovers. It was only lightly sweetened, and the vanilla added a nice touch of non-coffee flavor. If you are looking for a quick, refreshing frozen dessert that doesn't require an ice cream maker, this is a good recipe.

The recipe is here.

I think the following experience says something about my life:

When we were packing for our trip to New York my special gentleman laid out the clothes that he wanted to bring and I organized his clothes and mine into two bags. We never check luggage now that it costs money to do so, so we each have our own carry-on: mine a roller bag my mom bought me as a gift, and my special gentleman's a duffel bag that he carries on his shoulder (also, now that I think on it, a gift from my parents). I had borrowed his duffel bag a couple weekends ago to go to Emilee and Brian's in Palo Alto -- he had taken my roller bag with him to New Orleans that weekend. As I was packing for New York I realized I had never finished unpacking from Palo Alto. There was a dress, some dress shoes, and a couple pairs of clean underwear at the bottom of his duffel bag. Instead of unpacking and repacking those items, I just left them in and packed on top of them.

The next day, we are going through security at SFO with our bags and they pull Matt aside.
"Do you have something sharp in your luggage?" They ask Matt.
"Uh, I don't think so," he says, giving me a sideways glance. Of course, he has no idea what is in his luggage. I feel confident that I didn't packed anything sharp though, so I shake my head, "No."
The security person seems quite adamant to find whatever had showed up on the screen, and he carefully removes every item of the bag. Eventually he reaches the bottom corner of the bag -- the corner where I had found my dress, etc, from a few weeks bag. He takes out the dress, and then pulls out... a clam knife. He gives us a look that seems to say, "Really? Really you thought it was a good idea to bring a knife on the plane?"
"It's not sharp," I offer, as though that would make it seem more reasonable. Indeed, clam knives don't have much of a blade on them.
The TSA man just shakes his head and takes my knife away. My special gentleman turns to me, "You packed a clam knife?" He gives me the same look that the TSA man had.
I try to explain that no, of course I hadn't intentionally packed a clam knife for the airplane. But, when I had gone to Palo Alto a couple weeks before, via car, I had packed a clam knife -- in my life you never know when you might want to shuck some clams.
"Well, at least they didn't arrest me," my special gentleman says as we walk away from the security area.
Indeed.

No comments: