Thursday, May 13, 2010

Brandied Chicken Liver Pate (Page 22)

RECIPE #1161

  • Date: Friday, April 30, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companion: Emilee, Brian, Sam, Scarecrow, and Chris
  • Recipe Rating: C+

I thought this sounded like something my special gentleman might enjoy, so I made it as part of his birthday dinner. I cooked onions and garlic in butter, then added chicken livers and cooked until just slightly pink inside. I added some Cognac and cooked for a couple more minutes. Then I blended the livers in a food processor with nutmeg, allspice, salt, and pepper. I stirred in some soaked, dried currants, then refrigerated the pate for 24 hours. Before serving I let the pate come to room temperature. I made some toasts from a baguette and served them with the pate. No one was really too excited about this dish. Brian commented that it tasted like something that was designed to remove toxins. Indeed, it had an intense liver flavor. The cognac flavor was lost behind the strength of the liver. I thought the major problem with this dish, however, was the texture. The pate was very dry. It didn't have a smooth, spreadable consistency. Instead it was almost crumbly. This pate wasn't terrible, but there are definitely better pate recipes out there.

The recipe is here.

It has been a busy few days, and we have a busy few weeks coming up! On Tuesday after work we went to a San Francisco Giants game with Cornelia. I hadn't been to a baseball game in years and it was really fun (although the Giants lost!). Yesterday evening we went down to Palo Alto to visit Emilee, Brian, Sam, and Chris. I made a tasty dinner from The Book and we had a good time eating and hanging out. Tomorrow after work we are headed to Aptos (on the beach) for the weekend with our friends Scarecrow and Brenda and their daughter Cate. We haven't spent much time near the ocean this semester, so I am looking forward to a fun beach weekend! On Monday I am giving a seminar at Stanford. And on Friday we are off to Japan! We will be in Japan for 10 days -- my special gentleman is speaking at a conference and I am meeting with my PhD advisor (who moved from Boston to Japan while I was in graduate school). Our return flight from Japan lands in San Francisco, and we will immediately start driving across the country. My special gentleman's younger brother, who lives in Cambodia, will be in Ohio at that time so we want to get back to the Midwest ASAP to spend time with him. We will cross the country as rapidly as we safely can, stopping in Wisconsin on the way to return my mother's car to her, then continuing to my special gentleman's parents' house in Ohio. We will be there for a little less than a week, then we will to fly back to California (Los Angeles this time) for my brother's wedding! After a weekend in Los Angeles we will head to Indiana for a couple weeks for some math stuff. (My special gentleman will also travel to New York to attend a conference during the time I am in Indiana, but I am going to have to skip that trip.) During our time in Indiana we will pack up the last few things in my apartment there, so at the very end of June we will load a small moving truck and drive home to Michigan!

Whew! Sounds exhausting, no? Luckily, I think it will all be fun, and productive in different ways. And on June 30th, we will be back in our house in Michigan, which will be awesome!

2 comments:

GilaB said...

Do not answer this, but I sometimes wonder what costs more, your mortgage, or your travel expenses! Until I started reading this blog, I never thought of math as a travel-intensive field, but apparently it is.

Teena said...

Actually we have grants that pay for all the math-related travel. So it's free! That's part of the reason we travel so much. How can you turn down an all expenses paid trip to Japan?!