Monday, May 10, 2010

Sherried Mushroom Empanaditas (Page 38)

RECIPE #1160

  • Date: Friday, April 30, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Emilee, Brian, Sam, Josh G, Scarecrow, and Chris
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I picked this recipe as an appetizer for my special gentleman's birthday celebration because he absolutely loves puff pastry! I started by making the filling. I cooked onions in butter, then added mushrooms and red bell pepper. I added serrano ham and sherry and cooked the mixture a bit more, then stirred in parsley, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper. I then rolled out some puff pastry dough (the recipe called for purchased frozen puff pastry, so that's what I used), cut it into circles, and filled them with the mushroom mixture, forming little crescents. I baked them until golden and served them warm. These were pretty tasty. The flavor of the filling was excellent. The mushroom and ham flavors came through clearly, and the Sherry was present without being overpowering. My only complaint was that I thought the ratio of pastry to filling was a little too high. I would have preferred more of the delicious mushroom filling in each bite!

The recipe in The Book is essentially the same as this one, but the one in The Book makes small empanadita appetizers, while the one online makes big empanadas.


I don't like to fly. One of our flights this weekend was a whole new level of awful though...

A woman died on our flight.

She was seated two rows ahead of me and across the aisle, so I noticed a couple hours into the flight that the flight attendant was trying to wake her. The passenger was slumped in an unusual position in her seat and the flight attendant was concerned. The flight attendant tried speaking to her, and then shaking her arm a bit, but she wouldn't wake up. Within moments they were asking all medical professionals on board to identify themselves.

The next thirty minutes or so were awful. I cried through it all. They laid the woman in the aisle, with her head right at my feet. There were two doctors on board and three nurses. Also an excellent crew of flight attendants. And a defibrillator. I don't think they were ever able to recover a pulse though. As the doctors, nurses, and flight staff worked hard trying to save the woman, the rest of us passengers remained somberly in our seats as we made a very rapid descent and an emergency landing in Chicago. The paramedics were on board within minutes after we landed and they rushed her away. She had been traveling alone.

Perhaps she didn't die. Maybe they rushed her to a hospital and were able to save her. It didn't look promising though.

After a bit of time in Chicago, we took off again and headed for our original destination. I cried on and off through the rest of the flight, thinking about that woman lying in the aisle of an airplane for what might have been the last few moments of her life. I am praying for her and her family... whoever and wherever they are.

3 comments:

Deniz said...

Omg, Teena, what an awful experience :(.

Just a Guy said...

Oh my god. How frightening! That sounds really terrible. Poor woman.

Teena said...

Yeah it was really awful...