Thursday, July 12, 2012

Easy Carrot Soup with Toasted Pecans (Page 114)

RECIPE #11

  • Date: Thursday, May 31, 2012 -- 7pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Book: Gourmet Today
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Teri, and Terry
  • Recipe Rating: B



My mom was flipping through The Book and commented that this recipe sounded good, so I made it for dinner with her! I started by cooking onions in butter, then I added carrots, cumin, salt, and water. I cooked the soup until the carrots were very tender, then I pureed it. I topped the soup with chopped, toasted pecans, tossed with butter. This soup was OK. I am a huge fan of pureed vegetable soups. Indeed, homemade potato-leek soup is a staple in our freezer. I also love carrots, so I was optimistic about this one. It tasted fine, but I wasn't wowed by it. The texture was good, and the pecans were a nice addition, but the soup lacked the depth of flavor that I was looking for. I think it would have been much better if the recipe had called for chicken stock as the base liquid rather than water. It certainly wasn't bad though, and it was incredibly quick to make!  

The recipe in The Book is very similar to this one.

11 recipes down, 1095 to go!

The last couple weeks have been a little bit rough. That's not to say that anything particularly bad has happened. We have been at home, which has been lovely, and we have had the opportunity to do lots of work and lots of fun things (concerts, bike rides, minor league baseball, etc). But in certain moments, it has definitely been a struggle.

Generally speaking, I am a pretty happy person. I don't have a history of depression, and any bad moods I have are typically short-lived. I feel very fortunate that my brain chemistry is such that mostly I feel pretty good. But I was taking a medication lately -- different from my usual line-up -- and I had a side effect that was new to me: depression. I have taken a couple of pretty gnarly drugs for my brain tumor over the years, so I consider myself relatively well-equipped to deal with side effects. Certainly fatigue are nausea are old hat to me. I've had some more creative side effects in the past too (I will certainly never forget the first time I saw snow falling from the sky when there was no snow!). But never depression.

And as it turns out, I am incredibly poorly equipped to deal with it. Feeling bad day after day, for no reason, was miserable and frustrating! I had trouble sleeping at night, and trouble getting out of bed in the morning. Even the things that I love to do sounded completely unappealing to me. And although I desperately wanted to just snap out of it, I couldn't. Which was terrifying. What really terrifies me is that a medication can do that to me. That one day I can be blissfully happy enjoying a wonderful summer, and the next day I can be crying at my desk for no reason -- just from a couple of pills. The pills were important but thankfully I am done with them now, and am feeling like myself again. I am also feeling tremendously grateful that depression is not a part of my usual life, and very sympathetic for those people who struggle with it regularly.


1 comment:

kingshearte said...

I don't think any of us are well equipped to deal with depression. It's brutal, and I don't think anyone really understands how bad it actually is until they've experienced it. I had what I'd consider a pretty minor bout of situational depression a few years ago, and that was bad enough. I can't even imagine how awful it would be for it to be worse and prolonged over years.

In any case, I'm glad you're done with that medication, and I hope you never run into another one that does that to you.