Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Korean Marinated Beef (Page 443)

RECIPE #9

Gourmet Today

  • Date: Thursday, May 31, 2012 -- 7pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Dining Companions: Teri, Terry, and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I love Korean food, and it has a special place in my heart since my special gentleman and I ate at a Korean restaurant on our first date, many years ago. My favorite Korean dish is Bulgogi, but I had actually never made it at home. So I was very excited to try this Bugogi recipe! I started by cutting flank steak into very thin slices. I marinated the beef in a mixture of soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, scallions, garlic, ginger, and toasted sesame seeds. I cooked the meat in a heavy skillet with vegetable oil. I topped it with scallion green and more sesame seeds and served it with white rice, lettuce, sliced garlic, and kimchi. This beef was very tasty! Lately my special gentleman and I have been trying out some of the local Korean restaurants. Bulgogi is my standard order, and I was happy to discover that this simple recipe was in fact better than any of the local Bulgogi dishes I have tried. It's wonderful that it is so easy to make at home! I have a feeling that this is a recipe I will be coming back to frequently. Here's a photo of my parents eating dinner with us:


The recipe is here.

9 recipes down, 1097 to go!

My special gentleman and I are both home this week, with no house guests, for the first time since the beginning of May. It's nice to be home. It also means that we are desperately trying to catch up on all the house-related tasks that we have been putting off. We leave again in a week and a half, and by the time we return from that long trip, classes will be starting. So now is the time to get things done! In the last week we have had the electrician out here, as well as the sprinkler people (twice!), and an arborist. We are having better internet installed tomorrow (thank goodness!). I finally did some spring cleaning, resulting in 8 bags full of stuff for charity and another couple bags for the trash. For the first time in a long time you can actually walk in to our walk-in kitchen pantry! And the floor in the coat closet is visible! Last night after work my special gentleman and I did two and a half hours of yard work (weeding, mulching, pruning, watering, repairing a fence, etc).  When we quit at 10pm it was still in the nineties, so we finished off our evening with a trip to the Tasty Twist for some ice cream. It's nice to finally check some things off my list that have been on there for ages. It also makes me realize how many more things I would like to do before we leave again!

I love summer. I particularly love being home during the summer. I don't feel ready yet to leave again, but I am looking forward to our upcoming trips. We are spending a month in Palo Alto, California, followed by a week and a half in Paris and Switzerland. The trips are for work (conferences and workshops) but I will also get to see a few of my best friends while we travel. It should be great! And maybe before we leave I will find some time to check some more things off my list!



No comments: