Sunday, July 29, 2012

Tom Collins (Page 10)

RECIPE #12

  • Date: Thursday, May 31, 2012 -- 8pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Book: Gourmet Today
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Teri, and Terry
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I made this refreshing summer drink when my parents came to visit a couple months ago. I started by filling a cocktail shaker mostly full with ice. I added fresh lemon juice, superfine sugar, and gin. I shook the drink for 15 seconds, then strained it into glasses of ice. I then added club soda and garnished with lemon slices. This drink was simple to make and absolutely perfect for a summer evening. It was crisp and refreshing with just a hint of sweetness. It would be an excelle party drink on a hot day!

This recipe isn't online.

Hello from California! The last few weeks have been jam-packed full of conference activities, so I haven't had time for blogging. My special gentleman and I are in California (at Stanford) for a month. There were two weeks of conferences in my field these past weeks, and there are two weeks of conferences in my special gentleman's field these next weeks.

Conferences provide a wonderful opportunity to present one's research, as well as learning about what other people are doing. But beyond just the research benefits, there is also a social aspect to these things. With so many people gathered in one place, you are surrounded by friends you've made along the way (from graduate school, post-doctoral years, other conferences, etc...). So after long days of mathematics, people tend to gather and hang out. In the last two weeks, I went to a lot of parties: at peoples' homes, at restaurants, at bars, at the dorms on campus... Parties with faculty, or graduate students, or the post-doc/assistant professor crowd. There were a lot of parties and it was a lot of fun. This past Thursday there was a banquet dinner as part of the conference. In math we often have conferences to honor major birthdays of very famous mathematicians. This particular conference was in honor of three mathematicians, for their 60th, 60th, and 70th birthdays. So there was a banquet to honor them, with lots of food, wine, and roasting of the birthday trio. The dinner ended around 11pm and maybe 40 or so of the graduate students, post-docs, and young faculty continued the party at one of the dorms on campus. The night went late, and it was a lot of fun. Well, it was fun right up until the end...

Sometime in the wee hours of the morning we started playing a game called Ninja. I'm still not quite sure if this is a real game that other people know, or if it just something my friend David created. It's a fun game that involves lots of players moving around trying to hit one another's hands. You are only allowed to make certain kinds of moves, at certain times. You are eliminated from the game when both of your hands have been hit. So we were playing this game and it came down to me and one of the graduate students. I had one of my hands sort of near my face and he was trying to hit it. Instead, he decked me in the face. It was an accident (and he felt very bad!), but he broke my nose. I was looking pretty good the next morning with a swollen nose and two black eyes:


The doctor took x-rays and said the break is in a good spot and should heal fine, so that's good. The swelling has gone down in the last couple days, but I am still feeling the pain and looking pretty bruised. Here's a picture of me this morning:


Maybe the moral of the story is that I am too old to party with the graduate students!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww, don't say you're too old to party with graduate students. It was pretty fun until that happened! The moral of the story is that things happen at parties.