Monday, June 14, 2010

Grilled Chermoula Lamb Chops (Page 505)

RECIPE #1171

  • Date: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Brian
  • Dining Companions: Emilee, Sam, Matty, and Chris
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I hadn't made these lamb chops yet because we don't have a grill at home. Emilee and Brian do however, so I made these at their place last month. I started by grinding together cinnamon stick, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and whole cloves in a spice grinder. I stirred in some sweet paprika and cayenne. I then tossed the lamb chops with olive oil, finely chopped garlic, salt, the spice mixture, and cilantro. I marinated the lamb chops for a couple hours. Then Brian and I grilled them. I have taken a lot of shit from my friends in the past few months for making a few not-so-delicious dinners (shad roe and steamers come to mind...). From these meals they have concluded that there is nothing delicious left in The Book. When I made these lamb chops, though, they realized that I had just been holding out on them! Indeed, there are many delicious things still remaining, and these lamb chops were a perfect example! The spice rub was super tasty and went beautifully with the char flavor from the grill. The meat was flavorful and cooked perfectly. We were all licking our fingers with lamb juices dripping down our faces. Yum! I might have liked this dish even better if there had been some sort of tasty sauce to accompany the lamb (e.g. a yogurt sauce), but as it was it was super quick to throw together and extremely tasty. Definitely a winner!

This recipe isn't online.

It has been more than three months since I have slept in my own bed so right now I couldn't be happier, sitting in my bed, covered in my blankets, relaxing on my pillows. It's awesome! We aren't back in Michigan yet, but we are in Bloomington, where I still have an apartment for a few more weeks. It feels like home and that feels great!

What a crazy few days! My last post was from Ohio last week. We had a great time hanging out with my special gentleman's family, and it was a very relaxing few days. On Thursday night we flew from Ohio to Los Angeles for my brother's wedding! Congratulations to Spencer and Ellen! There were wonderful wedding events on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (more on their wedding in my next post). After a weekend full of celebration, last night we flew back to Ohio. Our flight was delayed, so we didn't get back to my special gentleman's parents' house until 2am. This morning we got up and drove four hours from their house in Ohio to Bloomington. Usually we split drives pretty evenly, and if someone drives more it is typically me. I don't mind driving at all, so I am usually happy to do it. This morning my special gentleman drove first and I slept. I woke up after an hour and a half, and instead of feeling refreshed I felt only more exhausted. I couldn't even muster the energy to lift my eyelids. Within minutes I was asleep again. I stirred a few times throughout the drive, but I didn't really wake up until my special gentleman woke me. We were in Bloomington. After all the travel of the last few weeks (months, years...) I was just exhausted. I felt better after my four hour nap, and my special gentleman and I headed straight to the office. It felt great to be back in my office. I had a lovely afternoon, getting things done, then this evening we had dinner with Paul, Beth, Jeremy, Chuck, and Lynn.

It is wonderful to be back in Bloomington and I am so, So, SO excited that our next stop in this six and a half straight months of traveling is HOME to Michigan!

2 comments:

Ryan Adams said...

It's a darn shame that the recipe isn't online, because your description and the picture sure make me want to give them a try myself!

Teena said...

It is a shame, because these were indeed very good!