Thursday, June 03, 2010

Leg of Lamb with Tomatoes and Garlic (Page 499)

RECIPE #1169

  • Date: Monday, May 10, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: Berkeley, CA
  • Kitchen: Our Temporary California Home
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-

I was in the mood for some lamb, so I selected this recipe. I put some chopped plum tomatoes and 8 heads of garlic in a roasting pan. I set a leg of lamb in the pan and arranged some rosemary sprigs on top. I seasoned with salt and pepper, drizzled with oil, then roasted the lamb. I basted the garlic occasionally with more oil as it was roasting. When the lamb had reached 135 degrees I removed it from the oven and let it rest. I served the lamb with the tomato sauce and roasted garlic. I had high expectations for this dish -- roasted lamb with tomatoes and garlic sounds delicious, no? In reality though, it was only ok. The tomato sauce didn't have much depth of flavor to it, and didn't complement the lamb so well. The lamb and garlic were good together, but I can think of many better preparations of lamb with garlic. This dish was on the dull side. There are so many delicious preparations of lamb in The Book that I wouldn't waste my time making this uninspired one again.

This recipe isn't online.

I am truly exhausted after a very long "day" of travel. We woke up on Tuesday morning in Tokyo, packed our things and headed to the airport. Our 9 hour flight left the Narita airport around 4pm on Tuesday and landed in San Francisco at 9am on Tuesday (ah, the wonders of crossing the international date line!). We took the train from the San Francisco airport to Emilee and Brian's place, where we had left our car packed with all of our belongings we brought to California for the semester. We napped on Emilee and Brian's floor from noon to 5pm, then ate dinner with Em, Brian, and Sam. At 8pm Tuesday we hit the road, headed for Wisconsin. We didn't so much have a plan for our drive, other than to try to drive the 2130 miles as quickly as we safely could. Matt's younger brother Wes, who lives in Cambodia, is in the states now and we wanted to get back to the Midwest ASAP to spend as much time with him as we could. So we started driving. It turns out that jet-lag is awesome for road trips. Indeed, we were already so off schedule and tired that we could sleep pretty much any time. So we started by alternating 3 hour driving shifts. While one person drove the other person tried to get at least a couple hours of sleep. We figured we would continue like that until we couldn't any more, then we would stop at a hotel and sleep.

As it turned out, we never reached that point of complete exhaustion, so we ended up driving the 34 hours between San Francisco and Madison straight through. We arrived today (Thursday) very early in the morning. And although it has been more than 72 hours since I have gotten a real night of sleep, I feel pretty good. Definitely better than one would expect after 9 hours on a plane and 34 hours in a car. I wasn't sure if the combination of jet-lag plus road trip would be awesome or a disaster -- as it turned out, it was awesome! Added benefit: after 34 hours of sleeping 2 out of every 6 hours, I don't think I am on Japan time any more. I think I have neutralized my body's sleep cycle -- my body no longer has any idea what is going on! -- so I am hopeful that tonight I will be able to get back on US time pretty easily.

We have been driving my mom's car all semester, so we are dropping it off here in Wisconsin, picking up my special gentleman's car (which my mom has been driving), and tomorrow we will drive another 9 hours to Ohio, where my special gentleman's family lives. I am not super excited to get back in the car, but I am looking forward to getting to Ohio! In the meantime, I need some sleep!

No comments: