Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Prosecco and Summer Fruit Terrine (Page 811)

RECIPE #1175

  • Date: Monday, June 7, 2010 -- 7:30pm
  • Location: Westerville, OH
  • Kitchen: Karen and Dave's House
  • Dining Companions: Karen H, Dave, Brad, Deniz, Wes, and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I made this dessert for dinner with my special gentleman's family a few weeks ago. I started by arranging some mixed berries in a loaf pan. I softened gelatin in a bit of Prosecco. I combined more Prosecco with sugar in a saucepan and brought it to a boil. I removed the saucepan from the heat and added the gelatin mixture, then more Prosecco and some lemon juice. I cooled the mixture to room temperature then I poured it over the fruit. I refrigerated the dish until the gelatin had set. I then inverted it onto a plate and served. This dessert was a little odd. It was sort of beautiful and sort of creepy looking at the same time. Being from the Midwest I am used to seeing fruit suspended in Jello, but this Jello was so transparent that it was a little eerie looking. The dessert had a pretty good flavor. It was quite boozy, but Prosecco and berries go nicely together. The texture was a bit too soft -- the gelatin didn't set up firmly enough to get nice clean slices of the terrine. This dessert was ok, but I would have rather just eaten the berries with some sweetened whipped cream, which would have been less work to prepare.

The recipe is here.

It is the middle of the night and I can't sleep. Tonight is my last night living in Bloomington, Indiana. Tomorrow we will pack the contents of my apartment here into a moving truck and drive up to East Lansing, Michigan. I have been waiting for this day for quite a while. After this move my special gentleman and I will live together, in just one residence! It sounds like a simple enough thing, but after three years of mostly living in different states, living together sounds absolutely divine.

I don't know whether it is the excitement about our arrival in Michigan that has me awake at 3:00am, or whether it is the sadness of leaving Bloomington after three lovely years here. I am sad to leave. I loved my job here, and my friends, and the town. My special gentleman and I got married here. There are a lot of memories. At the same time, I feel ready to move on, and I am very excited about life together in Michigan.

Right now, however, I just wish I could sleep. Actually, I wish we could just start moving now. There are stacks of boxes everywhere, and for whatever reason I am wide awake. If the truck rental place were open at this hour, I would be there picking up the truck right now. I think it is the waiting that is making me uncomfortable, that has me awake tonight. I am ready to get home to Michigan...

No comments: