Monday, June 07, 2010

Babas au Rhum (Page 796)

RECIPE #1170

  • Date: Monday, May 10, 2010 -- 9pm
  • Location: Berkeley, CA
  • Kitchen: Our Temporary California Home
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Josh G, and Yanki
  • Recipe Rating: B


My sister-in-law Deniz sent me several gifts from my Gourmet Project Wishlist for my birthday (Thank you Deniz!). The gifts included the molds I needed to make this recipe. I had been wanting to make this recipe for quite some times, but I hadn't been able to find the molds. Once I had the molds in hand, I made it right away! I started by proofing some yeast in milk with a pinch of sugar. Then I added some flour to form a sponge and let it rise. I put the sponge in the food processor with eggs, sugar, salt, more flour, and milk. I added butter and pulsed to combine. I then let the dough rise. I piped the dough into the molds, then let it rise again. I baked the cakes until well-browned. Meanwhile, I made a syrup by boiling sugar and water, removing it from the heat, then adding 3/4 of a cup of dark rum. I soaked the warm babas in the rum syrup. I brushed the babas with a mixture of apricot jam and more rum, then served them with heavy cream which had been whipped with powdered sugar and yet MORE rum.

These little cakes were tasty, but man were they boozy. More than 3/4 of a cup of rum (not cooked) in eight servings. Eating one of them was like having dessert and a drink. It was a bit of overkill to have the cake soaked in rum, then glazed in rum, then served with rum cream. At the very least, it would have been nice if the whipped cream had been without rum. The texture of the cake was very nice though. Since it was a yeast dough, it had a lot of rise to it, and the cakes came out with a bread-like texture. They weren't overly sweet, so it would be a nice dessert for people who aren't looking for a huge sugar rush after dinner. I would consider making these cakes again, but I would definitely cut back on the amount of rum. It was just too much!

This recipe isn't online.

Hello from Ohio! We are visiting my in-laws for a few days at their house. My special gentleman's whole family is here: his parents, his younger brother Wes (who lives in Cambodia), his older brother Brad, Brad's wife Deniz, and Brad and Deniz's puppies: Hanby and Wellie. We have had a mellow few days here, which is just what we needed after all of our travels of late. Yesterday we set up a badminton net in the backyard and played for much of the day. Last night we went bowling. Today I made dinner from The Book, tackling one of the more time-consuming recipes I had left: Seafood Paella. We have gone for several walks in the woods. Mostly though we have just been relaxing and enjoying time with family. On Thursday we will fly from here to Los Angeles, where my brother will get married over the weekend!

No comments: