Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Green Apple Sorbet (Page 860)

RECIPE #1255

  • Date: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 -- 5pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Dining Companion: Matty, Helen, and Charles
  • Recipe Rating: B-

This was the LAST DESSERT I had left in The Book. That's right. There are NO MORE DESSERTS! It is a moment both for celebration and mourning. I am delighted to have made them all, but I am sad to see them go. I would have made this recipe much sooner, as I love sorbet and it only had a 15 minute active time. But the recipe requires a juicer strong enough to juice an apple and I don't have one. Luckily, it recently came to my attention that my friend Helen does have such a juicer and she was willing to lend it to me! This recipe was super simple. I boiled sugar and water to form a syrup. Then I crushed a vitamin C tablet into powder. I juiced the apples (skins, seeds, and all!) and added both the vitamin C powder and the sugar syrup to the juice. I chilled the juice until it was very cold, then froze it in an ice cream maker. That was it! This sorbet was OK. It definitely had a strong green apple flavor, but it had a bit of a weird flavor too. I couldn't tell if it came from the vitamin C tablet, or if it was from the skins of the apples. I'm not sure. But there was an off flavor that I couldn't get past. Unfortunately, omitting the vitamin C isn't really an option, as it is there to preserve the color of the sorbet. I enjoyed trying this sorbet, but ultimately it sat in our freezer for a while and then got thrown away. Definitely not a recipe I would make again.

The recipe is here.

Only 38 recipes left!

This was the last recipe in the Frozen Desserts and Sweet Sauces section of The Book that I had left to make. So, it is time to reminisce about some of the delicious recipes in that section! In no particular order, my top five recipes from Frozen Desserts and Sweet Sauces:
  1. Cream Cheese Ice Cream -- I was suprised by how much I liked this cream cheese flavored ice cream. It was tangy and rich, and the texture was perfect. I made this for a bunch of friends in Boston not long after I started this project. Good times!
  2. Kir Royale Sorbet -- Raspberry sorbet with champagne and creme de cassis! How can you go wrong? As it turns out, you can't. This sorbet was awesome. We brought this to Paul and Beth's house, and I was a little worried that we were getting underage Lauren drunk on boozy sorbet. She had a few servings! It was irresistably good.
  3. Dark Chocolate-Caramel Ice Cream Sandwiches -- Emilee bought me animal shaped ice cream sandwich molds for my birthday one year, and this was the first recipe I made with them! Chris and I brought these very cute pig and cow shaped ice cream sandwiches to a Halloween dinner at Mike and Teresa's house. Both the chocolate cookies and the caramel ice cream were delicious on their own. They were even better together. Yum!
  4. Raspberry Sauce -- This very simple sauce had a fantastic raspberry flavor. I made it back in the days when I cooked for the Talbot math conference every year. We ate it with molten chocolate cake, but it would be delicious on ice cream, or with a variety of other desserts.
  5. Vanilla Creme Anglaise -- Creme Anglaise is always delicious and this was no exception. It had a great vanilla flavor. I made this one for the Talbot conference too, and it was enjoyed by all!
I can't believe I am not only done with this section, but also with all of the other dessert sections in The Book. Crazy!! The end of the project is in sight!

Now I have 12 sections completed and 9 sections left to finish. I am almost there!!

No comments: