Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Dark Chocolate-Caramel Ice Cream Sandwiches (Page 866)

  • Date: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 --8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Chris, Teresa, Mike M, and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A


Teresa invited me and Chris to dinner at her place on Halloween and I offered to bring dessert. Emilee bought me ice cream sandwich molds for my birthday in April, and I hadn't tried them out yet, so I figured Halloween was the perfect occasion! I made this recipe exactly as written in The Book, except at the end I molded the ice cream sandwiches into pigs, cows, and stars! They were delicious! This recipe is a winner. The recipe for caramel ice cream is divine, and could easily stand alone (without the cookies, or even the chocolate chunks). The ice cream was just a touch on the sweet side, so I worried that the sandwiches would be too sweet. The cookies were a touch on the not-sweet side though, and it ended up balanced perfectly! The cookies were wonderful both frozen in the ice cream sandwiches, and just eaten plain (one of many advantages of the ice cream sandwich molds: lots of leftover cookies scraps to be eaten!). They were deeply chocolatey and chewy! I will definitely start using the cookie part of this recipe as my standard chocolate cookie recipe. This recipe is definitely a winner. It's a bit time consuming (making caramel, then custard, then ice cream, then cookies...) but worth it! I think this recipe is about as good as an ice cream sandwich can be.

I am sad to say that this recipe is not online.

There are some things in life that I have always thought of as free. However naive, health care falls into that category. Of course I know that health care is expensive. I am aware of all the people who don't have insurance, or can't pay their medical bills because of the outrageous costs. Cognitively I know these things. But I have been in school forever, and university health care plans for students are often very thorough and either very cheap or free. At MIT the health insurance for graduate students was magnificent, and free. Before that my parents had me covered on their health insurance, which they paid for. This is not to say that I don't shell out a few hundred bucks each year for my annual MRI. But basically, despite the odd assortment of health issues I have had through the years, it never really sunk in how expensive these things can be. Dental care has also always seemed free to me. At some point my parents kicked me off their dental plan. I never bought dental insurance in graduate school, so essentially I never went to the dentist. If you never go, it's free! Once every couple years I would visit my parents' dentist when I was home, and my mom would cover it. But, now I have a real job, with dental insurance. So today I went to the dentist. And it was free! BUT, I have two cavities (no doubt due to my dentist-free lifestyle)... Cavities are not free it turns out. They are more free than they would be without insurance, but they are still far from free. I left the dental office without scheduling my fillings. I will call tomorrow and do it. I know leaving my cavities untreated would be a poor decision (root canals: presumably even less free than cavities). But somehow, standing there today, I felt that scheduling that appointment would be admitting that I am really an adult now. I have to pay for medical care, and dental care, and after years of deferral because I was still in school, I have to pay off my college loans from my Stanford days. Ah, growing up!

2 comments:

s.j.simon said...

lol. did you know that chocolate was banned in switzerland for many years. read this

Teena said...

Wow, I had no idea!