Monday, November 19, 2007

Anchovy Butter (Page 894)

  • Date: Thursday, November 15, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I picked this recipe to make on Thursday because I had leftover anchovies from making the stuffed bell peppers, and I figured I might as well find a way to use them. Usually I am not super excited about compound butters, but this one was good. The brininess of the capers cut the richness of the butter a bit, and the flavors of the anchovies, capers, lemon juice, and garlic were strong enough that it didn't seem like butter with just a few flecks of stuff added in (and these things sometimes do). This was a case where adding stuff to the butter actually improved it. We just spread this butter on bread, but it would go nicely with a piece of chicken, or even on some pasta. I threw the rest of this in the freezer for a lazy day when I am looking for a quick sauce to throw on dinner. One nice thing about compound butters is that they freeze well and once melted provide an instant sauce.

The proportions aren't quite the same, but the recipe is similar to this one.

This morning I teach my classes and then I have off the rest of the week for Thanksgiving! Yay! Well, maybe tomorrow doesn't exactly count as a vacation day, since I am going to the University of Chicago to give a seminar, but that should be fun. I am staying with V and Shihchi, which is always a good time! I am driving to Chicago right after my classes today, and then on Wednesday I will head to Columbus for the holiday.

First, though, I have to face my classes. I am giving them back their exams today, which will no doubt lead to some unhappiness. I can't tell if it will be a positive experience for them or a negative one. On the one hand, they will see how badly they actually did. On the other, they will see how generous the curve is. Well, we shall see how they feel about it! I imagine attendance won't be great, since some of them take off this entire week for Thanksgiving. So after returning exams, maybe we will do something fun! Speaking of, I should finish preparing...

4 comments:

Christopher said...

Supposing you were going to make a pie crust calling for 3/4 stick of butter and 2 tbs shortening, and suppose you didn't have any shortening --- might you (or one) substitute something else on hand (vegetable oil?) and if so how much of said substitution?

Teena said...

Hi-

You can just substitute butter for the shortening. Some people make all butter crusts, others make all shortening, and you can make crust with any combination in between. Butter and shortening each have their advantages when it comes to making pie crust, so a lot of people choose some combination of the two. All butter also makes excellent crusts though (in my opinion). Vegetable oil, however, is not a good substitute. You really want to use a solid fat (shortening, butter, lard...) in pie crust, and not a liquid one.

Hope that helps!

Teena

Anonymous said...

Shortening has a huge disadvantage, in that it's hydrogenated vegetable oil, and will kill you.

Teena said...

Well I suppose that's true. Yet another reason to go with the all-butter crust!