Thursday, November 15, 2007

Everyday Pimento Cheese (Page 9)

  • Date: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 -- 10pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I chose this because it was the first recipe in The Book that I hadn't made yet (now I have made the first 12 in a row!). The Book calls this a Southern classic. It is a bit odd. Two types of cheddar are grated and then mixed with pimientos, cayenne, salt, pepper, and mayonnaise. I grated the cheeses in the food processor, but this was a mistake. Because they weren't finely grated enough, the end product was chunky, rather than smooth, as it should have been. I didn't have the patience to microplane a whole pound of cheese. I should have though -- it would have improved the texture significantly. The flavor was, well, what you would expect to get if you mixed cheese with mayonnaise and then stirred in some chopped pimientos. It wasn't bad, it just didn't particularly appeal to me.

Here is the recipe.

I am SO excited about the upcoming holiday season! Tonight I busted out my special Christmas pajama pants: then have monkeys on them, wearing Santa hats and snowboarding. It's hard to not feel cheery wearing these pants! Early next week we are headed to Columbus, OH (with a little stop in Chicago so I can give a seminar). We will have a big family Thanksgiving -- not with my family, but that's ok! My family is spending Thanksgiving in Las Vegas, which very much suits them, but somehow isn't exactly my idea of a traditional family holiday. After Thanksgiving there are only a few more weeks of class and then it's Christmas break! For Christmas I am going home to Madison, and then to Columbus. I am very much looking forward to all this holiday travel. I will get to have some relaxing time visiting family and I hope to also see a bunch of friends that I haven't seen in a while. I am sure there will also be plenty of holiday cooking fun too!

No comments: