Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Bok Choy with Soy Sauce and Butter (Page 524)

  • Date: Saturday, November 17, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C-



We were looking for a quick and easy vegetable dish to go with our quick and easy dinner on Saturday night. In that respect, this recipe fit the bill. It was really not good though. This recipe was very simple: bok choy, stir-fried with some soy sauce and oyster sauce, and then drowned in butter. Does that seem strange to anyone but me? Soy sauce and BUTTER? And not just a little butter, but a serious chunk of butter. In summary: it was foul. The butter made the dish extremely rich, which absolutely did not pair well with either the bok choy or the Asian flavors of the soy and oyster sauces. The bok choy was nicely cooked, but I still found it very difficult to eat because of the butter situation. If you took this recipe and just omitted the step where you add the butter, it would be vastly, vastly improved. In fact, I think that could be downright tasty. As it was though: avoid it.

In case you want to see for yourself, here is the recipe.

I am in Chicago now, sitting on the sofa in Vigleik and Shihchi's apartment on this fine Wednesday morning. Now I am officially on Thanksgiving vacation! Normally right now I would be about ready to head off to teach my calculus students, but today is an IU holiday. Yesterday I spent the day at the University of Chicago. V and I worked on something together all morning and in the afternoon I gave two talks. It was a fun (and a little bit exhausting!) day.

Today Matty and I are headed off to Columbus, which is about a six hour drive from here I believe. Riding in the car sounds very relaxing and enjoyable right now so I am looking forward to it. I love Thanksgiving break! It's at that point in the semester when you really need a rest. Ever since college I have appreciated the few days off for Thanksgiving more than any other break during the year (except summer of course!). My second year in graduate school I took my qualifying exam soon before Thanksgiving, so over Thanksgiving break I pretty much just ate, and sat on the sofa. For four days! It was amazing -- exactly what I needed. I am not feeling quite so burnt out this year, but I am looking forward to some serious relaxation.

No comments: