Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Peanut Butter-Coconut Bars (Page 693)

  • Date: Monday, November 26, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I was exhausted at the end of the day on Monday, so I picked this recipe because it didn't require going to the grocery store. These bars were odd... Think to yourself: peanut butter cookie with coconut mixed in. But then make it a really dry peanut butter cookie (still with the coconut mixed it). Sprinkle some peanuts on top and you pretty much have it. I can't say they were bad, because I certainly have eaten a few of them. But I also can't say they were good. The cookies were unpleasantly dry. The dryness also contributed to an unpleasant texture contrast between the dry, crumbly cookie, and the chewy coconut inside it. I have to say, although I love coconut, these cookies didn't sell me on the peanut butter and coconut combination. They would have been better with the coconut omitted.

Here is the recipe.

I have a goal. Well, I have a lot of goals really, but now I have a new one. I am going to try to hit 600 recipes by the end of the year. I am currently at 563, so I will have to make and blog about 37 recipes in the next 33 days. (Do you like the way I did that arithmetic? Can you tell I am a mathematician?) Since moving to Bloomington, I have only been averaging about 0.7 recipes per day, so I am going to have to pick up the pace a bit. To assist with this, I think I shall throw a Christmas party! My tentative menu for said party involves 10 recipes from The Book. I'll admit, it's a little ambitious. I will invite the whole topology group, which, including spouses and children must be at least 25 or 30 people -- that many people could easily eat 10 recipes worth of food! I am traveling starting in mid-December, so for the last couple weeks of the year I will be making Book food for friends and family near and far! Are y'all excited? Anyone want to place a bet on whether or not I can meet my 600 recipe goal?

No comments: