Thursday, November 08, 2007

Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes (Page 582)

  • Date: Tuesday, November 6, 2007 -- 10pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C+


I love all varieties of potato, prepared in all varieties of ways, so I thought this recipe would be a sure winner. It wasn't so good though. The flavor was nice (although a touch bland). It's hard to go too wrong with sweet potatoes and maple syrup! But the texture was disastrous. I cooked the sweet potatoes longer than was indicated in the recipe, to try to get them as tender as possible. They seemed tender, but they just didn't mash well. I have had difficulties before with mashing sweet potatoes. They are more fibrous than their not-sweet cousins, and that makes it difficult to get a smooth puree. I failed with a regular old masher, so then I put them through a potato ricer, which helped matters significantly. But, they were still fibrous and slightly chunky in a way that was very unappealing. Even in the picture you can appreciate how not-smooth they were. There was also too much butter and cream relative to the potatoes. You might think that wouldn't be possible, but there was so much liquidy stuff that the potatoes couldn't absorb it all, so the dish was slightly separated. Overall, this recipe was not a winner. Perhaps cooking the sweet potatoes longer would help, and then maybe whipping them with an electric mixer. As it was though, I can't recommend it.

Here is the recipe.

Before I had my MacBook (which I love!) I had a PC, which was getting old. It would work pretty well for a little while, but every few days it would start to slow down and beg to be rebooted. After a restart it was refreshed, and would again be more or less functional for a few days.

These past few days I have felt like that old PC, desperate for a reboot! The trouble with going to a conference from Friday afternoon to late Sunday night (as I did last weekend), is that I didn't get my usual quota of weekend catch-up sleep. So I am dragging a little bit this week. I am trying to get motivated to travel again tomorrow. This weekend I am going to Boston. I am hoping that the traveling will be uneventful, and the weekend will be very relaxing! I am definitely planning to sleep a lot while I am there!

Speaking of, I am going to go to bed now. Yes, it is only 10:30pm, but I am exhausted!

No comments: