Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Dark Chocolate Shortbread (Page 688)

  • Date: Monday, November 5, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: C


I was tired last night, so I picked this recipe because it was quick and easy. I know it is hard to imagine that shortbread could be bad, given that it is made up mainly of butter and sugar, but this recipe was bad. It had numerous flaws. The shortbread was dry and ridiculously crumbly to the point where it was nearly impossible to even get the cookies off the baking sheet. There was so little sugar that the cocoa made the shortbread taste bitter, rather than pleasantly chocolatey. I had imagined a buttery, delicious shortbread, with the addition of chocolate. What I ended up with was very disappointing.

Here is the recipe.

November is here, and the cold is starting to set in. Normally I like this time of fall very much. The leaves are changing, the air is a little brisk, and Thanksgiving is on the horizon. As holidays go, Thanksgiving is one of my favorites (as you might imagine, I enjoy holidays that involve lots and lots of cooking). In the 5 years I lived in Boston, I spent most of my Thanksgivings with the Douglas/Hanau clan, and those holidays are some of my favorite memories of living there. Last year at this time Michael and I were planning a big meal for the holiday. A lot was going on last fall and the big Douglas/Hanau Thanksgiving almost didn't happen. Chris and Michael felt strongly about having it though, and when I offered to cook, that sealed the deal. There were 12 of us around the table and it was perfect. I never would have thought, sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner a year ago, that it would be my last holiday with Michael. It would be months before we would find out that she was dying. I just keep thinking about it -- about how much has changed in a year. It scares me how it is possible to lose so much so quickly.

This year I am not going back to Boston for Thanksgiving. In some ways I wish I was. But honestly, I'm not sure I could handle being there. Sitting down to dinner with everyone except Michael just seems like it would be unbearably difficult.

No comments: