Monday, November 05, 2007

Cranberry Ketchup (Page 892)

  • Date: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Chris
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I chose this cranberry ketchup because I haven't made anything from the Sauces and Salsas section in a while. This "ketchup" was pretty good. It had a lovely cranberry flavor, made savory by onions and five-spice powder. The consistency was just right for a ketchup-type sauce. I am not a huge fan of fennel and anise flavors, and they were quite strong in this sauce, so that was a drawback for me. However, that is a matter of personal taste. I ate this sauce on some Chik Nuggets (my sauce receptacle of choice!) but I think it would really shine on pork. The flavors in this recipe were quite seasonally appropriate right now. It was a nice alternative to more traditional cranberry relish.

Here is the recipe.

I was so exhausted this morning that although I set three alarms, I overslept! I woke up in plenty of time to teach, but I was still dragging during my classes. The downside of traveling most weekends is that it eliminates the option of catching up on some sleep and relaxing at the end of the week. This coming weekend I am making one of my crazy 36 hour trips to Boston. The following weekend I am staying Bloomington (yay!). The weekend after that I will be in Columbus, Ohio, and the one after that I will be in Auburn, Alabama. After that, things will settle down for a couple weeks -- or at the very least, I haven't made plans yet!

For now, I will have to get some sleep while I can. On that note, I think I will head off to bed!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

So what is this I hear about a Columbus trip?

Teena said...

I am going to Columbus, but only for Thanksgiving weekend. You won't be there, will you?

Melanie said...

Aw darn, I'll be in Madison! Where are you going for Christmas? Either way, we should try to meet up - we only live about 4 hours apart!

Teena said...

I will be in Madison before Christmas (until Christmas Eve), and Columbus after Christmas (probably for almost a week). What is your schedule? Hopefully we will overlap somewhere!