Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Mozzarella in Carrozza (Page 181)

  • Date: Sunday, November 25, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C-


I picked this for dinner on Sunday night because I was looking for something quick and easy. These sandwiches were foul. How can I describe them? They were a cross between french toast and those deep-fried cheese sticks, with capers added. Does that sound good? Well it wasn't. The bread was soggy, and greasy. The melted cheese tasted good, but the capers were so intense that it was difficult to enjoy the smooth richness of the fresh mozzarella. Without the capers it would have been better. If the bread would have become nice and crispy it might even have been good. Basically what I am saying is that you should abandon this recipe entirely and make yourself a toasted cheese sandwich.

Here is the recipe.

I tried to get a pet today. No, that's not right. I tried to convince myself today that my lifestyle could support a pet. This summer I was at the Dane County Fair with Matty, and we were checking out the Cloverbud exhibits (I'm sure nobody but Mel knows what that means, but nonetheless I will just go on...). There were a bunch of Pocket Pets entered, and we decided then and there that I should get a Pocket Pet! Should it be a gerbil? Or a hamster? Or a guinea pig? I don't know. I rapidly ruled out mice and rats. I had my eye on a guinea pig at the sketchy pet store in the mall (I even named him: bed head. He was really cute!). But I didn't buy him and then he was gone.

Today, though, Teresa wrote to me saying that two Pocket Pets (of the guinea pig variety) had arrived at the animal shelter. I was so excited! But then I started to think about it more. What would I do with a pocket pet while I am traveling? This weekend I will be in Alabama. In a couple weeks I will be in Chicago, then Madison, then Columbus... And next semester I will doubtless be often in Boston, and who knows where else. What would become of my poor pocket pet?

Some of my friends are starting to have kids. We are that age where for some people it seems like a reasonable thing to do. Me? I'm apparently not yet settled enough to even have a pocket pet!

2 comments:

Mike Hill said...

I think you could handle a pet. Think about it: you fed all of us for years without any trouble! And as to leaving it for long periods, well, a pocket pet could just travel with, or you could just freeze a bunch of food with instructions for how to heat it up. Lots of possible solutions.

I think you should get a pocket cat like Issy. How fun would that be? Never sleeping again, being a slave to a tiny animal, worrying every time you leave the house... Win, win, win!

Teena said...

You do make a compelling argument. I don't think I am ready for a pet like Issy though. My brief forays into pet-sitting for her have discouraged me. I still value sleep too much I guess!