Monday, November 12, 2007

Lemon Garlic Lamb Chops with Yogurt Sauce (Page 504)

  • Date: Saturday, November 10, 2007 --9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Russ and Paps
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I have been looking forward to this lamb chop recipe ever since Matty and I made an amazing lamb chop from The Book this summer. This recipe did not live up to that one though. It wasn't terrible, but I was disappointed. This recipe called for lamb shoulder chops, which are half the price (or less) than lamb loin chops. There is a reason they are cheaper though. It is a tougher, fattier cut of meat. These chops had a lot of internal fat to them, which made the meat gristly in a very unappealing way. Meat with this kind of fat distribution if always better served by slow cooking methods. Pan frying is a recipe for disaster when there are thick veins of internal fat, so I was a bit worried from the start. That was my main complaint. The flavors in the dish were nice. The sauce built from the lemon marinade tasted pretty good, and the yogurt sauce was simple but tasty. The unpleasant texture of the meat was distracting though. I would be interested to try this dish again with a nice loin chop rather than a shoulder chop. I think it had the potential to be good. As it was, no one was too impressed with it.

Here is the recipe.

Walking home from work tonight I was hungry and craving, of all things, macaroni and cheese with hot dogs in it. My mother used to make that for us sometimes when I was little and it was awesome! Her macaroni and cheese is amazing, and the hot dogs just brought it to a whole new level. I knew there were no hot dogs in my apartment, nor the makings for homemade macaroni and cheese, but I figured I could count on there being a box of Annie's Macaroni and Cheese in the back of the pantry. By the time I made it home, I had completely come to terms with this as a substitute for my mom's cooking. However, the cupboard was bare -- no mac and cheese to be found! I started scrounging through my pantry, refrigerator, and freezer, and without really thinking, just started throwing something together. I made some pasta, caramelized some onions, browned some chorizo (yeah, I don't have mac and cheese, but I have chorizo -- go figure!), and threw in a few other pantry staples. In the end, it wasn't macaroni and cheese with hot dogs, but I had a nice dinner of rotini in a carmelized onion and garlic sauce with chorizo. It reminded me how much I enjoy the challenge of cooking a dinner just from the pantry. I am so used to cooking from The Book, where I carefully purchase all of the ingredients in advance, and follow the recipes strictly, that sometimes I lose sight of how fun it is to just rummage through the kitchen, throwing things in a saute pan. It was quite nice to return to that tonight.

No comments: