Thursday, November 22, 2007

Foolproof Thai Sticky Rice (Page 260)

  • Date: Saturday, November 17, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I made this sticky rice to go with dinner on Saturday because it was quick and accompanied our other dishes well. It's hard to grade this sticky rice. It wasn't great (it wasn't, in my opinion, "foolproof") but I think it had more to do with one suggested method of cooking the rice than anything else. The recipe casually says that this rice can be cooked in a sieve or colander set inside a pot in such a way that the rice doesn't touch the water. The rice is then steamed, to achieve the perfect sticky rice texture. The problem: if you set a sieve on the rim of a pot then the lid of the pot doesn't quite fit and most of the steam escapes. After the designated cooking time this rice was hard and dry. So I continued to cook it. Even once the rice was tender it continued to be dry though. I have no doubt that this recipe would produce lovely sticky rice if you could set up this steaming contraption in such a way that the lid sealed the pot (using the steamer insert in a pasta pot perhaps) but I think The Book is much too casual about other alternatives that will work. I still enjoyed eating this rice, but for this rice to be perfect you would need to take some care in your setup.


Here is the recipe, and this one is more specific about how to set it up in a way that will work than the one in The Book is.


Happy Thanksgiving! I am having a lovely Thanksgiving weekend. The drive yesterday wasn't quite as relaxing as I had hoped: 7 hours and it rained the whole way! But we made it safely, and in plenty of time for me to help with the prep cooking last night. It was fun not being in charge in the kitchen. I just chopped when I was told to chop, stirred when I was told to stir, etc... I had a blast. We made a lot of food in advance, which was good because today there were 26 people over for the Thanksgiving meal! The food came out really nicely and it was fun to meet everyone. The company has all left now, so it is only me, Matty, Karen, Dave, Brad, and Deniz left in the house. We ate ourselves into a stupor this afternoon and now everyone is gathered around the TV watching episodes of Beverly Hills 90210 on DVD. Brad and Deniz own season two, and they brought it with them (we watched all of season one on the family vacation in August). I was watching for a while, but after about three in a row I need a little break!

It's always interesting spend family holidays with someone else's family. I have had Thanksgiving or Christmas celebrations with at least seven different families over the years, and it is such a joy for me to see the unique traditions that people have. Today was fun, and I look forward to being here again around Christmas-time.

I should run. I am being summonded back to 90210. Apparently this episode is especially good!

No comments: