Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Lamb and Feta Patties with Pepper Relish (Page 514)

  • Date: Tuesday, November 6, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


This recipe was part of my ongoing effort to cook more from the meaty sections of The Book. These lamb patties were excellent. They were moist and flavorful. The lamb was nicely balanced by the feta and mint, without any one flavor being overpowering. The broiler gave them a nice caramelized exterior, which was delicious. I would imagine that they would also be lovely grilled. They weren't quite done after the recommended 8 minutes in the broiler, and when I opened the oven to check them, so much smoke poured out that I set off the smoke alarm (broiling = lots of smoke). It took so long to get the annoying alarm sound to stop that I was scared to turn the broiler back on. So I finished the patties in a 400 degree oven for a few minutes, which seemed to do them no harm. The relish was also very tasty. It was strongly flavored, as relishes often are, but it paired nicely with the lamb. The sweet-peppery-mustardy -acidic flavor of the relish provided a great contrast to the mild lamb, feta, and mint flavors of the patty. Overall this was a strong dish. I made it just for myself, but I would happily serve it to company. It was very quick, easy, and delicious!

Here is the recipe.

Tonight we had a Yay Women in Math! pizza dinner in the department. I'm never too sure about these events in a new place. Sometimes they have the flavor of a bunch of mathematicians, who all happen to be female, hanging out and eating dinner. Sometimes they have a more "Woe is me" feel to them, where everyone talks about the burdens they bear being women in math. The former-type of event I find quite fun, the latter makes me a little uncomfortable. True, math is not a gender-balanced discipline. But I don't feel that I have ever been treated badly because I am a woman. In fact, I don't feel that my gender has much influenced my career at all. I have no complaints about being a woman in math.

Fortunately, tonight's gathering definitely fell strongly into the "mathematicians getting together to eat pizza" category, and not the "complain about being women in math" category. It was fun. I met some graduate students that I didn't know. We sat around, eating pizza and salad, swapping teaching stories and other anecdotes. Yay women in math!

No comments: