Friday, November 23, 2007

Teriyaki Glaze (Page 899)

  • Date: Saturday, November 17, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


Every once in a while I try to focus on the "Sauce and Salsas" section of The Book for a few weeks. This glaze was good. I broiled some tofu, brushing this glaze on every couple minutes. It made for a very, very simple dish that was quick and tasty! Because this glaze is made from ingredients that you can easily store in your pantry or fridge indefinitely, this is a nice recipe to keep on hand. It would also go well with beef or chicken, but there is almost always some tofu hanging around in my refrigerator, so I was anxious to see how this glaze would work on it. One critique of this recipe is that it was a bit heavy on the soy. The soy sauce flavor drowned out the sweetness of the sauce, and the flavors of the mirin and sherry. If you try this recipe I would suggest cutting back on the soy sauce a bit. Also, the glaze had to simmer longer than indicated in order to reduce to the proper consistency, so give yourself a little extra time.

This recipe isn't online.

A few of the many things I am thankful for this holiday weekend:
  • Leftover mashed potatoes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
  • My health and the good health of my family and friends
  • My 110 calculus students, who always manage to make me laugh
  • My pickle
  • All of the people around the country who cook and eat with me from The Book
  • A job that I love
  • My colleagues, and friends, and the many people who are both
  • Warm socks
  • Episodes of Beverly Hills 90210 on DVD
  • Long runs
  • Driving in the car with the windows rolled down and the music turned up
  • All of the places I call home: Bloomington, Boston, Madison, Palo Alto, Hartsville...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pickle? Without explanation I will have to assume it's either your pet name for your special gentleman, or it takes 2 AA batteries...

Teena said...

Ha ha. It's a nickname. For a person.

Anonymous said...

So what do YOU call that thing that takes batteries? I named mine Trusty.

Mike Hill said...

Dear Lord, you have some vulgar anonymous posters.

AnonyMiss said...

I don't think open and frank discussion of vibrators is vulgar. It's more like feminism coming out of the closet...or the underwear drawer...

Anonymous said...

Some women are not blessed with a pickle. Thanks Teena for making a man feel special. More women should do that.

Teena said...

Well my pickle is indeed very special. I am a lucky woman!