Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Date and Oat Bars (Page 693)

  • Date: Monday, November 12, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I have been making a lot of recipes from the "Cookies, Bars, and Confections" section in The Book lately. Since I am on a roll with it, I figured I would go ahead and make another one. These bars were pretty good. They are made from 2 layers of an oat-based dough, with a sweet date filling sandwiched in between. The flavor of these bars was excellent, but I thought the proportion of filling to dough was a bit off. I actually thought there was too much filling (an unusual complaint indeed). The date filling was rather intense, both in sweetness and in date flavor, and although I liked it I would have preferred a bit less of it. Having so much filling also made these bars tremendously heavy -- which is why an 8 by 8 pan made 36 bars! The texture and flavor of the oat dough was excellent -- crumbly and buttery, but still with that wholesome oat flavor. Overall, these bars were good -- if you are a big fan of dates, you are sure to love them!

This recipe is not online.

Today's Kitchen Disaster of the Day was pretty dramatic. I was making baklava tonight, for a certain baklava-lover who is coming to visit in a few days. The baklava was in the oven and I was making the honey syrup to be poured over it. It was in a small saucepan, boiling away on the stove, and I decided I should clean up some of the huge phyllo-butter-walnut mess I made while assembling the baklava. My back was turned for maybe 45, no 30, seconds when I heard a very loud hissing noise. The honey syrup had taken on a life of its own, boiling over and covering my entire stovetop with honey. Worse, it spilled onto the counters and dripped down the front of the oven to the floor. I have one of those flat-top stoves, so instead of pooling in the burners, the overflow went everywhere! If it had been anything else (water, soup, tomato sauce...) that would be one thing. But having half your kitchen covered with boiling honey -- it was a hot sticky mess. The apartment filled with smoke (honey syrup + burner = smoke). I opened all the windows, turned on the fan, and hoped that the smoke detector wouldn't go off (again!) as I rushed to remake the syrup that was now all over my kitchen rather than waiting to be poured on the hot baklava. In the end, all was well, but I think the cleaning process will be ongoing. I have cleaned the stovetop 5 times now, but it is still sticky to the touch! And I am sure there are places where the honey has dripped that I haven't even discovered yet. Whoops!

3 comments:

Daniel said...

Just be glad it wasn't boiling oil that then proceeded to catch on fire

Mike Hill said...

Clorox wipes. I've found them to be a miracle for cleaning up weird, sticky messes in the kitchen.

Teena said...

Boiling oil would have been worse at the time, but easier to clean up afterwards!

Clorox wipes are a good idea, although my guess is that they will stick to the surface!