Sunday, November 11, 2007

Strawberry Salsa (Page 896)

  • Date: Saturday, November 10, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Paps and Russ
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I was looking for recipes that were quick for dinner last night, and this strawberry salsa fit the bill. It was quite simple: finely chopped strawberries, onion, jalapeno, and cilantro, seasoned with sugar, salt, and lime juice. It was delicious though! The various components were perfectly balanced. The strawberries gave it a lovely sweetness, while the onion brought in a savory note. The jalapeno provided a very subtle kick and the lime juice contributed the necessary acidity. I served it with goat cheese on bread (one of the many suggested serving options in The Book). The mellow goat cheese provided a lovely contrast to the vibrant fruity salsa. We ate this casually with dinner, but it would also make a lovely appetizer by spreading goat cheese on small toasts and topping with this salsa. This recipe was quick and easy, while also being a bit out of the ordinary. It was definitely a winner.

It is the salsa from this recipe.

As usual, I had a very lovely weekend in Boston. As I had planned, I slept and slept and slept! It was amazing. I slept for 10 hours on Friday night, then I took a nap Saturday afternoon, then slept 9 hours Saturday night. I am now feeling very refreshed! And sore -- Matty and I lifted weights yesterday. I have to shamefully admit that I haven't lifted since I moved to Indiana. I have been working out (running, pilates, etc...) but I just haven't been lifting. After achieving my goal of doing a pull-up last spring, I lost motivation. I am going to start again though, and as a first step, I lifted yesterday at the MIT gym. Now I can barely move my arms!

Matty's friends Russ and Paps were also in Boston for the weekend, so we had them over for dinner last night. We had a fun Book dinner (although most of the food was pretty mediocre -- it happens!). I felt a little guilty hanging out with Matty's friends last night, since I never even see any of my own friends on these super-short trips to Boston (sorry everyone!), but he hadn't seen them for a while, and they were only in town for the weekend. Fortunately next semester I am teaching Tuesday-Thursdays, which means that my trips back to Boston will be Thursday night to Monday afternoon, rather than Friday night to Sunday afternoon. That way I will have plenty of time to see my friends in Boston, who I miss very much!

Russ took a picture of Matty and I enjoying some beers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is Matty your special gentleman?

chefgreypoupon said...

Wow, I never though of using strawberries in salsa. I'm going to have to try this recipe. The picture looks delicious.

Teena said...

Yes, Matty is my special friend. And the salsa was awesome -- you should definitely try it!

Anonymous said...

Nice catch, lady!

Teena said...

Yeah I think so!