Friday, November 16, 2007

Stuffed Bell Peppers (Page 558)

  • Date: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C+


I have extremely fond memories of the stuffed peppers of my childhood. My mother would take green peppers and fill them with a delicious tomato-based mixture of rice and beef. Yum! Reading this recipe, I understood that these would be different (the lack of tomatoes, rice, and beef tipped me off), but I was still optimistic. Unfortunately, this recipe disappointed me. The baked pepper itself was yummy, but the filling was a let down. This cheese-based filling had a few problems. For one, it was mostly a bit bland. The only flavor that stood out was that of the capers, which were too overpowering. So there was a dullness about it, but also a striking brininess. It wasn't delicious. The other problem was that the texture wasn't so nice. Although this sounds odd, the texture was almost curdled. I have no explanation for it, but somehow there were parts that were liquidy and parts that were more solid. It was odd, and unappealing. If you are going to take the time to stuff a pepper, put some rice and beef in it, not this uninspired cheese filling.

The recipe in The Book is almost the same as this one, except the one in The Book uses full-size peppers, which are halved through the stem and then stuffed.

My students have an exam in about a half an hour. I am worried that it is a little too tough. To be fair, I had that concern also about the previous two exams I have given in this course and the students did just fine on those. This one has me a little worried though -- it's on sequences and series, which my students find very confusing. Last night I had a dream that half my class decided, during the exam, that it was unreasonably hard, so they just walked out. I was chasing after them, reminding them that they can't drop the class because it is after the drop deadline. Then I went back into the classroom and flipped through the exam to see if it was indeed too tough. As I was flipping I realized that the exam was an analysis qualifying exam for graduate students. Whoops! Well, hopefully today, in real life, non of my students will walk out during the exam!

After my classes I will grade for most of the afternoon and then drive to the airport to pick up a certain special friend who arrives today, and is staying for TEN days! Ah, the luxury!

No comments: