Monday, June 04, 2012

Buttermilk Pancakes (Page 657)

RECIPE #1!!

  • Date: Sunday, May 27, 2012 -- 8:30pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Terry, and Teri
  • Recipe Rating: A-



The same day I decided to cook through the second book, I figured I better get started. I let my special gentleman pick the first two recipes. His choices: pancakes and martinis! A well-balanced dinner. Truth be told, we eat a lot of pancakes in our house. We make a triple batch of pancakes every few weeks and freeze the leftovers. It's convenient to have pancakes in the freezer for a quick breakfast treat, especially because we often have company staying with us. We have a pancake recipe that we love, so these pancakes had some stiff competition. To prepare them, I started by whisking together flour, baking soda, salt, egg, and buttermilk. Then I cooked the pancakes in an oiled skillet. That was it! These pancakes were very good. I actually thought they were better than our usual recipe. These pancakes were fluffy and moist and the buttermilk gave them a nice tang. This was a great basic pancake recipe which could easily support some add-ins (vanilla or blueberries or cinnamon or lemon zest or...). My special gentleman wasn't quite convinced though. He admitted that these pancakes were extremely tasty, but his loyalty lies with the recipe that he has made dozens of times (from the King Arthur Flour Cookbook). Nonetheless I imagine that we will be adding this recipe to the pancake rotation in our house. They even survived the freezer test. We ate the leftover pancakes later in the week when my parents came to visit and they were delicious even after being frozen!

One of my goals for the new book is to take more pictures of the people who eat the food I make. I do regret that although I have pictures of nearly every recipe in the yellow book, I have very few pictures of the many, many friends that cooked and ate with me. So I am going to try harder to remember to not only photograph the food, but also my loved ones who eat the food! As a start, here is my special gentleman, enjoying his pancakes:  



The recipe is here.

1 recipe down, 1105 to go! 

And so it begins again. I can't even put into words how exciting it is to have a whole big book full of recipe choices again. I am going to try to be careful not to just make all of my favorite things first. But it is hard to resist! I used a random number generator to generate a list of recipes, and my goal is to choose some of those each week along with whatever else I feel like making. Hopefully that will help keep things a little balanced. I should say a few words about the new book. It's called Gourmet Today, and it is again an offshoot of the now defunct Gourmet Magazine. This book claims to contain recipes for the contemporary kitchen -- meaning that on average the recipes are lighter (less butter!) and quicker (fewer recipes that take all day) than those in the first book. That is not to say that every recipe in this book is quick and healthy -- that certainly does not appear to be true! But, flipping through it, the recipes in this book do have a more contemporary feel to them. 

There are other important distinctions between this book and the last one that I am particularly excited about. Like the Gourmet Cookbook, this book is divided into sections (Soups, Salads, Grains and Beans, Poultry, etc...). The yellow book had 21 sections, this one only has 19. The following sections from the old book do not reappear in this one:
  • Sandwiches and Pizza
  • Sauces and Salsas 
  • Relishes, Chutneys, Pickles and Preserves
  • Basics 
Plus, the Breads and Crackers section and the Breakfast and Brunch section have been merged into one. I am sad to see the sandwiches and pizza go, and it is a shame to have fewer bread and breakfast recipes, but the other three sections I can live without. The good news is that there are some new sections in this book and they are AWESOME! The new sections are:
  • Drinks
  • Vegetarian Main Courses
  • Grilled Dishes
I am pretty thrilled about all three. We have already gotten quite a start on the Drinks section! I would be willing to bet a lot of money that I will be finishing that section off first. I am almost as excited about the Vegetarian Main Courses section. I was a vegetarian for 8 years (ages 13-21) and I love cooking vegetarian food. Plus, we have a lot of vegetarian friends. So it is great to have a selection of vegetarian recipes to choose from! And I love pretty much anything that comes off the grill, so that section has me excited too!

Overall, I am very excited to explore the contemporary food offerings of the new book. I have a feeling that there is some delicious food in my future! 

4 comments:

kingshearte said...

Yay! Good luck on your new venture. Can't wait to see the awesome things you make!

Teena said...

Thanks!

Karen Shaffer said...

I'm so glad you decided to do GT! I can read along with you now as it unfolds (instead of catching up as I did when I stumbled across your blog earlier)...Love your blog and your writing...

Teena said...

Thanks Karen!