Saturday, June 23, 2012

Mango Frozen Daiquiri (Page 13)

RECIPE #5
  • Date: Monday, May 28, 2012 -- 8:30pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-



This recipe came off the list generated by the random number generator. To prepare these drinks I started by cutting mango into chunks and freezing the chunks for several hours. Then I put the mango in the blender, along with ice, gold rum, water, lime juice, and superfine sugar, and blended it until was smooth. I like mangoes pretty well but I am not crazy for mango drinks like some people I know. A strawberry daiquiri, for instance, sounds much more appealing to me than a mango one. So I didn't have terribly high expectations for this drink. But oh my gosh was this recipe good! The daiquiris had a wonderful mango flavor with an absolutely perfect amount of booziness and sweetness. My tumor medication makes me a total lightweight when it comes to drinking, so it is very rare that I have more than one drink in an evening. These daiquiris were hard to resist though... I may have had a couple ;). This is a wonderful recipe for a refreshing summer drink.  Here I am, post work-out, with a daiquiri in hand -- a very happy moment:


This recipe isn't online. 

5 recipes down, 1101 to go!

My special gentleman and I were on vacation this week with his family. The vacation crew was the two of us, my special gentleman's parents, my brother-in-law Brad, Brad's wife Deniz, their daughter Hannah, Deniz's three sisters Aylin, Tulin, and Suzan, two of their significant others (Dennis and Quigs), and two puppies. We all stayed together in a house on Lake Michigan in Saugatuck, Michigan. It was a nice house with private beach access and we had absolute perfect weather for a beach vacation.

I would like to believe that I am the kind of person who is able to take a week of vacation -- setting work aside entirely and just relaxing. As it turns out, apparently I am not. Or at least I wasn't this week. I had been traveling the two weeks before for work, which was both very productive, and left me way behind when I got back. I was only home for one night before we left for vacation so there was no way I could get everything done that I needed to before we left. The upshot: I did a lot of work on my "vacation." One of the wonderful things about academic jobs is that they are marvelously flexible. But when you have collaborators counting on you and organizational duties to take care of, some of that flexibility goes away. So my week was a mix of work and vacation activities. I feel OK about that. I did try to make sure to get lots of time in the sun, swimming in Lake Michigan and seeing the sights. I went on a dune ride, and a duck boat ride. I even managed to take a few pictures. Here's one of my special gentleman with his parents and his brother Brad, in the dunes:


And one of me with my special gentleman, also in the dunes:



The evenings were a beautiful time to be on the beach. We went for many long beach walks and saw some spectacular sunsets. We also enjoyed a couple beach bonfires (including one in the pouring rain!). Here's a beach bonfire on a beautiful summer evening. 



And me making smores on the beach with my mother-in-law: 



As the sun set that evening the fire got more and more beautiful. I felt like we should be in an advertisement for Michigan summer vacations. Here's my special gentleman enjoying the fire, and Lake Michigan in the background:


We are back home now, and although our vacation was great, I am glad to be home! Three weeks is a long time to be away (one week in Boston, one in Virginia, and one on Lake Michigan!). But now we have three weeks at home! This is the longest stretch that we will be home all summer and I am pretty excited about it!






No comments: