Saturday, June 16, 2012

Rib-Eye Steak au Poivre with Balsamic Reduction (Page 442)

RECIPE #4
  • Date: Monday, May 28, 2012 -- 7pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-




This recipe came off the list generated by the random number generator. This was a quick and easy steak preparation. I coarsely crushed some black peppercorns, then pressed them on both sides of rib-eye steaks. I seasoned the steaks with salt as well, then cooked them in butter and vegetable oil, flipping once. Once the steaks had reached the proper doneness I let them rest while I prepared a sauce. I poured the fat off from the skillet, then deglazed it with balsamic vinegar. I whisked butter and salt into the sauce, then served it drizzled over the meat.

This steak was good. Very good. Indeed my special gentleman declared it the best steak he has eaten in his life. Seriously. I agree that it was good, although not the best steak I have ever eaten! The meat was perfectly cooked and the crushed peppercorns were in just the right proportion to the meat. The sauce was flavorful and acidic. It was perhaps just a touch too acidic. The next time I make this I might add a bit more butter to the sauce at the end (or a tiny splash of cream) to cut the acidity a little more. But as it was, it was delicious!

The recipe is here.

4 recipes down, 1102 to go!

After two weeks away, I am finally back at home! I am leaving on another trip tomorrow, but for the moment I am just enjoying some blissful time in my own home.  I was in Boston two weeks ago and in Virginia this past week. Both trips were exhausting but fun. Sometimes I think my special gentleman and I travel too much. The week I was in Boston working with my collaborators, he was at a conference in Germany, in the Black Forest. He flew back to East Lansing last weekend. On Monday night when I called him from Virginia before I went to bed, he had already fallen asleep. He answered the phone out of a dead sleep and our conversation went like this:

Him:    Hello?
Me:      Hey. Did I wake you up?
Him:    It's late here. What time is it where you are?
Me:      Sweetheart, we're actually in the same time zone.
Him:    What? Where are you?
Me:      Virginia.
Him:     I'm in Germany.... Aren't I?.... Where am I?
Me:       You're in Michigan.
Him:     No, I'm in Germany.
Me:       Well, I called the home phone and you answered it, so I think you are at home in Michigan.
Him:      Oh.

He sounded so disoriented! I felt very bad for waking him up. This whole summer is crazy with travel, but we do have a lull coming up. We are going on a trip with my special gentleman's family this week, but the following three weeks we will be at home! I plan to do tons of work and tons of cooking during that time. I am looking forward to it. After that we will be traveling for 5 of the remaining 6 weeks of the summer. And then school starts again! Truth be told, I have mixed feelings about all the travel. On the one hand, it is pretty exhausting, and I do love just being at home. But on the other hand, we get to travel to wonderful places to learn and do math, which I love. Plus, these trips usually involve seeing friends from around the world, as conference bring lots of people together. In the last two weeks I got to see and hang out with friends that live in Boston, Virginia, Texas, Australia, Chicago, Kentucky, New York, etc, etc.  It was great! I always have a hard time motivating to travel right before I leave on a trip but once the trip is over, I am almost always glad I went. This trip was no exception! Now it's time to do laundry and repack my suitcase so I am ready to leave again tomorrow!

2 comments:

kingshearte said...

I find it fascinating that mathematicians travel so much. I never would have guessed. I came here for the food blogging, but I also really enjoy the snippets into the life of a professional math geek (which I say with the deepest respect — I consider myself a professional word nerd).

Teena said...

Truth be told, when I decided to be a mathematician, I didn't realize how much they travel either! Probably it's for the best that I didn't, as I am not sure I would have chosen this job had I known how much travel it would include. Luckily the travel has grown on me though, and I do love my job!