Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Classic Martini (Page 10)


RECIPE #2

  • Date: Sunday, May 27, 2012 -- 9pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Terry, and Teri
  • Recipe Rating: A-




My special gentleman picked this one. The recipe was extremely simple. I filled my cocktail shaker mostly full with ice, then added some gin and vermouth and stirred it well. I strained the martini into chilled martini glasses and garnished with lemon twists. This recipe was a winner! The recipe is mostly gin, so using good gin is important. We used my special gentleman's favorite gin (Hendrick's), and it did the trick. This was the best classic martini I have had. I think I am going to enjoy cooking through the Drinks section of The Book! I was very happy to be drinking a martini on a summer evening at home:




This recipe isn't online.

2 recipes down, 1104 to go!

I am in Boston this week, working with some of my collaborators. There is a group of 4 of us that gets together about twice a year to do research together for a week. We live quite far apart (Michigan, Virginia, Texas, and Australia), so the time we spend together working is very valuable, and these weeks tend to be pretty intense. Often we meet in California, but this summer we are having our meeting in Boston. We are working at MIT, which makes me pleasantly nostalgic as three of us were graduate students there together. And I am staying in Cambridge, in one of the neighborhoods I lived in when I was a graduate student.

I am traveling a lot this summer. Maybe too much. The semester ended a few weeks ago, and since then I spent a week in Albuquerque at a conference, and a few days in Chicago to give a talk. I was home for almost a week and a half before I left to come to Boston, and I couldn't have been more delighted to be at home. It felt like a great luxury! I will admit, I was not particularly excited to leave again. Actually, though, being in Boston is lovely. Hotel rooms were scarce so I ended up renting an apartment for the week instead. I am so glad that I did! Having an apartment in my old neighborhood and working at MIT each day makes this feel less like traveling and more like stepping into a different phase of my life. Boston is easy. I know where things are. I know how to get around. I know which restaurants I like. Those things make travel much less stressful. And having an apartment is absolutely wonderful. I have a kitchen, and a desk, and a family room, and an eating area. It feels like regular life. Except that my special gentleman is not with me. He is at a conference in Germany this week. The kitties are also not here. They don't care to travel! I think they are happier staying at home with our house-sitter.

I will be in Boston until Sunday, at which point I am headed to Virginia for a week for a conference. I am looking forward to that too. A conference will be a nice change of pace after the locking-ourselves-in-a-room-to-get-things-done type of work that we are doing this week.

No comments: