Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Bacon, Arugula, Tomato, and Egg Sandwiches (Page 191)

RECIPE #787

  • Date: Saturday, July 12, 2008 -- 1pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+
I don't know how I overlooked this recipe for so long. Matty is very into breakfast sandwiches, so I would have made this sandwich long ago had it been in the Breakfast and Brunch section of The Book (where I would look for such things). But it was in the Sandwiches and Pizzas section and I didn't notice it until a couple of weeks ago. Once I found it though it immediately made my list, and Matty and I threw together these quick sandwiches to fuel ourselves for some sea kayaking. These sandwiches were simple but good: scrambled eggs, bacon, arugula, and tomato were sandwiched between two toasted slices of sourdough bread. Yum! The recipe called for tomato chutney rather than sliced tomato (although it lists sliced tomato as an acceptable alternative). Tomato chutney was, strangely, not to be found at either Star Market or Whole Foods (the latter had 8 kinds of chutney, but no tomato!), so we used plain old sliced tomato instead. It was no major loss -- the tomato went well in the sandwich. I can only imagine that it would have been even better with the chutney. The one weird thing about the recipe was that the scrambled eggs were made with cream in them. I have seen this technique before, and it's not bad, but it results in some super-rich scrambled eggs. I didn't particularly see the purpose of having super-rich eggs on such a sandwich. Between the cream-laden eggs and the bacon, the sandwich was a little heavy. The tomato and arugula cut the richness a bit, but it was still intense. Overall though it was a good sandwich that stuck with us through hours of kayaking!

Here is the recipe.



Back in Boston, I ran seven miles this evening. Seven miles is the furthest I have run in my training program so far and it is a big step for me! For one thing, this was my first run that was more than half of the length of the half marathon I am training for. Being halfway there is a huge psychological boost. I often find in my runs that the first half is rough, but once I make it halfway I really believe I can finish and it gets easier. So I am hoping that now that I know I can run seven miles, I will have more confidence that I can really do this thing! The other reason seven miles is exciting is that it is about as long as I have ever run! At some point in college I could run about seven miles, but certainly never eight. So any progress I make from this point forward is really new territory for me and that is very motivating!

I was happy to be back at the reservoir this evening. After my six miles in 95 degree heat on Sunday, I was pretty pleased to be running these seven miles on a day when the high was 72 and it was raining! Ah, simple pleasures!

2 comments:

Emilee said...

I always made my scrambled eggs with heavy cream while I was pregnant. Got really hooked on it -- I think it's totally YUM -- and now am having a hard time breaking the habit.

Teena said...

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that you like your eggs with cream in them! It's a little rich for me, but I can definitely see the appeal.