Friday, July 25, 2008

Corn on the Cob with Garlic Ancho Butter (Page 537)

RECIPE #790

  • Date: Monday, July 14, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matt and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+
One of the many magical things about summer (just below sno cones and late afternoon rain on my list) is corn on the cob. Yum! I love corn. Absolutely love it. Cornbread, popcorn, corn on the cob, grits, corn tortillas, corn chips... I love them all. This recipe was very simple. Corn on the cob was cooked in boiling water and served with a compound butter made with garlic, ancho chiles, cilantro, and lime juice. The corn: delicious! The butter: delicious! Together: pretty good. The butter tasted great (Matt, in particular, was very enthusiastic about it). It was delicious just spread on bread. It was smoky, garlicky, and very slightly spicy. The flavors were extremely well balanced. But pairing it with the corn didn't totally make sense to me. Corn on the cob is so delicious right now, so flavorful, that it doesn't need a bold butter to go on it. It just needs some plain old butter, and some plain old salt. While I was eating this, although the garlic ancho butter impressed me, I kept wishing my corn was just buttered and salted instead. I would make this butter again to serve on bread, or steak, or a whole variety of things... But if I were going to make some delicious summer corn, I would leave off the fancy butter.

Here is the recipe.

A friend recently said to me, "I don't know how you do it -- I don't know how you live alone." He's married and his wife was out of town, and he was lonely. Talking to him I felt a little bit proud, a little bit tough. I spent the majority of the last year living 1000 miles away from my special gentleman, in an apartment by myself, and I was totally fine. That makes me tough, right? Perhaps not. My special gentleman is out of town tonight and I have been in my pajamas since 8pm. I microwaved leftovers from date-night last night for dinner, worked until I couldn't any more, and watched TV on iTunes for the rest of the night. I freaked out for a while when a mouse trapped in our pantry started making all sorts of ruckus. I am now laying on the bed, on top of all the laundry I told my special gentleman that I would fold and put away. And I am lonely. I could have gone out tonight, but I wanted to stay in. I wanted to work and watch my trashy TV show. I wanted to lay in bed in my jammers. But I didn't expect to be lonely. It's funny how expectations change so quickly. I have been in Boston for most of three months now, and suddenly I am not used to being alone at night. Never mind that I lived by myself through the whole academic year. Apparently I have forgotten that!

Pretty soon the magic bubble of the summer will burst, and I will be back in Indiana, by myself. This year will be even easier than last -- my special gentleman is living in Indiana half time in the fall, and full time in the spring! But there will be nights, weeks even, when I am home alone. I guess I will have to toughen up again!

No comments: