Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Fettuccine with Butter, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and Sage (Page 208)

RECIPE #775

  • Date: Saturday, July 5, 2008 -- 10:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B

It was 10:00pm on Saturday night before Matty and I even started thinking about dinner. We weighed our options (something really fast from The Book or take-out Thai food) and decided on this dish. This is the kind of book recipe that is a little silly. I'll summarize: cook some fettuccine. Toss with outrageous quantities of butter, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and sage. Season and serve. Yup that's it. So how was this recipe? Well our rendition was inedible, but it was user error. The recipe calls for 2 cups finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 4 ounces). We had some pre-grated in the fridge, so out of laziness (and hunger) I suggested we use that. Matty was measuring the cheese and as he dumped it in he said, "This seems like a lot of cheese." And I said, "Just add whatever it says." Well, the cheese we were using was grated in such a way that 2 cups was more like 8 ounces of cheese, which meant we had added double the intended amount. Now I like cheese as much as the next girl (more, actually) but Parmigiano-Reggiano is really intense, and salty, so the result was barely edible. You can even see in the picture how much cheese is sitting on those noodles. There was also a stick and half of butter in there, so this was not a light dish. Matty had a fine suggestion that saved the meal: add another pound of pasta. So I boiled up some more pasta and added it (with some pasta water to help distribute the cheese), and the result was quite tasty (and a little weird -- the only pasta in the cupboard was whole wheat rotini, which was a little odd with the fettuccine). It tasted ok though, which was good because 2 pounds of pasta will last 2 people quite a long time. We are still eating leftovers for lunches. I probably would have preferred this dish with basil rather than sage, but the sage was also tasty. If you are looking for a simple, quick pasta dish, this one is perfectly fine. Just be careful with the cheese!

This recipe isn't online.

Today is my ex-boyfriend's birthday. Not just any old random ex, but my first love. Thinking about it makes me sentimental in some way. He and I were really bad together -- he treated me badly, I treated him badly -- it was a bad scene. But we had some crazy chemistry that compelled us to keep torturing one another rather than just writing each other off when we probably should have. Years have passed since then, and he and I are friends now. I even went to his wedding in the fall (that's proof that we really are friends, no?). Anyway, it's his birthday today so I wrote him a long Happy Birthday email this morning. He wrote back a little while ago, letting me know what is new with him and his wife, how his PhD is going, etc... At the end of the email it said, "I miss you." It was in the context of "I miss you -- I should really call you sometime," not "I miss you --run away with me, " but when I read it I had that heart-skipping-a-beat feeling. It's completely crazy. I have no romantic feelings for this person any more (and I haven't in years), and I have always viewed it as a great blessing that we split up. But yet, "I miss you" still gets to me. Maybe it is always like that with one's first love... I don't know.

2 comments:

The Sensitive Gourmand said...

Oh, god. Chemistry is amazing...and amazingly awful! I had an ex like that, and we had some great times, but she also managed to devastate me, eviscerate me, and obliterate me. It was really unhealthy, but it took me years to break away.

Once I did, though, I managed to find someone amazing (after years of searching) and now I'm happy.

Teena said...

Yeah, in retrospect I look back and think, "Why didn't I get out of that earlier?" But at the time I was so drawn in -- there was just no way out!