Monday, July 14, 2008

Cherry Almond Pie (Page 761)

RECIPE #782

  • Date: Sunday, July 6, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Rachel
  • Dining Companions: Matty and Eric
  • Recipe Rating: B+

Matty and I still had some precious sour cherries that we picked last summer in the freezer, and we needed to use them before Matty moves out of his apartment (which is happening soon!). So I decided to use up the last of them by making this pie. This pie was pretty good. One odd thing about it (not odd in a bad way -- just odd) is that the lattice top wasn't made of pie dough, as you might expect, but rather it was an almond-based dough which was piped directly onto the pie rather than being rolled out and cut into strips. The biggest problem I had with this pie was that the filling was much too liquidy. It was so runny in fact that it leaked out of the crust, and for most of the time that it was in the oven the crust was surrounded by cherry juice. Given that, the crust still had a surprisingly good texture, but it wasn't quite as firm and crispy as one might have hoped. The runny filling may have been my own fault though. The recipe called for tapioca to be ground in a spice grinder and then mixed in with the cherries. I tried to do this but my spice grinder has a mind of its own lately, and sometimes, for no particular reason, it just stops. It couldn't possibly be coaxed into grinding the tapioca, so I "ground" it with a knife. Obviously this isn't as efficient or effective. So perhaps the tapioca didn't absorb liquid as well as it would have had it been properly ground. I don't know. But in any event, the consistency of the filling was a problem. The taste of the filling, however, was not. Yum! Sour cherries are delicious, and they make a seriously divine pie filling. And though I was a little skeptical of the almond lattice top, that was good too. This wasn't the best cherry pie I have ever had, but it was pretty damn good. I am hesitant to admit that the four of us actually ate the entire pie that night (it wasn't all me, I swear!), which is a testimony to the fact that it wasn't bad at all!

This recipe isn't online.



I had an important insight about running yesterday. I always figured that distance runners are super skinny because running burns a lot of calories. But yesterday I learned that distance runners are super skinny because distance running is painful if you aren't! I am not fat, but if I stand with my feet together the tops of my thighs do touch. This never bothered me in the slightest until yesterday. Around mile 4 of 6, I started to experience some painful thigh chafing. Perhaps I am lucky that it has taken until week 11 of my training to reach this point, but I wasn't feeling so lucky when I still had 2 miles left to run and was in pain! I am told that putting some Vaseline on your thighs will solve this problem -- it sounds a bit unpleasant, but I'll try it! On the upside, my "injuries" so far are limited to my new chafing, and the ever-growing blister on my foot, which recently filled with blood. So now I have a big black blob extruding from the side of my foot. Gross. Very gross. Still, these are vastly preferable problems to having issues with my joints, or muscle pains. I have run almost 150 miles since I started training, and I am impressed by how well my body is holding up!

3 comments:

Deniz said...

I highly recommend Body Glide instead of Vaseline. It's much less messy and easier to put on as it comes in a deodorant-style package. Any sporting goods store should carry it. Brad used it during his marathon training/race day, and Suzan used it during her Ironman training/race day, and both remained chafe free. The Ironman was 15 hours, so I think that speaks well for the product!

mkd said...

Deniz beat me to the punch. So I'll just second Body Glide. I had my doubts that I would need it, but I haven't had a blister since I started using it.

Teena said...

Thanks for the suggestion! I have seen that Body Glide stuff but never tried it -- I will have to check it out.