Sunday, July 06, 2008

Grilled Mackerel with Spicy Tomato Jam (Page 300)

RECIPE #771

  • Tuesday, July 1, 2008 -- 8:30pm
  • Location: West Newton, MA
  • Kitchen: Mike and Tim's Mansion
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Mike, Tim, and Pam
  • Recipe Rating: B-

Given an opportunity to use Mike and Tim for their grill (oops, I meant use Mike and Tim's grill...), I made this grilled fish at their place this past week. The recipe calls for mackerel or bluefish -- there was no mackerel to be found at Whole Foods, so bluefish it was. Bluefish is a rather fishy fish. Several people commented that the fish on its own was too intensely fishy, but that the jam balanced it out in a nice way. I found the tomato jam a bit odd. It was rather sweet (one of the ingredients was apple jelly), but also with strong flavors of vinegar and tomato. The general consensus seemed to be that like the fish, the jam was also not that good on its own, but the two paired together were pretty good. I certainly didn't dislike this dish, but looking at the picture I don't feel particularly interested in eating it again. One recipe note: I set the grill to the heat indicated in the recipe but the fish took quite a bit longer to cook through than the recipe indicated that it would.

Here is the recipe.

My dear friend Rachel and her husband Eric came over for dinner tonight and it was such fun. Rach and I met by chance our last year in college. I lived with Emilee all through college, and our senior year we chose housing that held four people rather than just two. There was an event where everyone living in that kind of housing met up and we were all supposed to sort out who would live together. I found this very stressful. This is not a minor thing -- we would be living with these people for an entire year. I am not terribly outgoing, and neither is Em, so we were hanging back a little bit when Rachel came up to us and introduced herself. She is one of the friendliest people I have ever met. We talked for a few minutes, and it was decided that Emilee and I would live with Rachel and her roommate Sara. I admit, I was nervous about this arrangement -- I knew the two of them not-at-all. But that day turned out to be a great blessing in my life, because Rachel is an amazing person, and a wonderful friend. I learned a tremendous amount from her in the year that we lived together at Stanford.

She stayed in California after college, and I moved to Boston. I saw her from time to time, but the year that I spent several months at Stanford she was living in Syria, so we haven't had a real chunk of time together since college. Lucky for me though, Rachel's husband just accepted a tenure-track job at Harvard, and on Thursday we helped them move into their new place, just a few blocks away from where I am living this summer! I couldn't be more delighted! So this afternoon Rach came over and we cooked up a big meal from The Book. It was so nice to hang out with her, cooking, reminiscing, and having a good time. I am so much looking forward to having her around the rest of the summer!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm so glad I'm here too!! Though not so glad you're leaving in a month...

Teena said...

Yeah, we have pretty bad timing!