Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Chicken Kiev (Page 357)

RECIPE #960

  • Date: Sunday, February 22, 2009 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


This recipe was on the list from the random number generator. I started by making a compound butter flavored with garlic, salt, parsley, chives, lemon zest, and lemon juice. I shaped the butter into 4 sticks and refrigerated until firm. Then I took boneless, skinless chicken breast halves and flattened them by putting them between two sheets of plastic wrap and pounding them with a rolling pin. I wrapped each pounded breast half around one butter stick, folding the chicken breast to completely enclose the butter. I dipped the rolled up chicken pieces in flour, then beaten egg, then bread crumbs. I then refrigerated the chicken pieces for an hour before deep frying them in vegetable oil. This dish was pretty good. The coating on the chicken was nice and crispy. The butter sauce enclosed in the chicken had a good flavor to it. In some of my chicken pieces the butter leaked out a bit when they were deep frying. If I made this again I would be more careful to make sure that the butter was sealed in well. One small problem we had with this recipe was that the bread crumbs were almost burnt by the time the chicken was cooked through. It still didn't taste bad, but it would have been better had the exterior been a little less crispy! My special gentleman and I both enjoyed this dish. Although it wasn't the best version of Chicken Kiev that I have ever eaten, it was tasty.

This recipe isn't online.

Ah, Spring Break in Boston! I lived in Boston (well Cambridge/Somerville really) for five years in graduate school and I moved away a year and a half ago. For most of the time since then my special gentleman still lived in Boston (and we both lived there in the summer). So although I was mainly living in Indiana, I went back to Boston quite often. A few months ago, though, my special gentleman also moved. Now that neither of us live in Boston, we haven't been spending much time there. In fact, before this trip I had only been in Boston once since August and that was only for two days!

It wasn't until I arrived here a few days ago that I realized that there are things I miss a lot about living in Boston. I love Indiana, but eating at my favorite restaurant here and running on the trail where I trained for my half-marathon both made me very sentimental! Being at MIT this week has also made me strangely sentimental about graduate school. I suppose it's not so strange -- I was quite happy in graduate school and I met some of my best friends there. Still, I love my job now, and I never have the thought, "Wow, I miss graduate school," so I was surprised to find myself reminiscing about it. I suppose it is always like that. Being at Stanford puts me in a sentimental mood every time. Apparentely being at MIT does now too! It's fun to be here though. My only regret is that there are so many people I want to spend time with, and I am only here for one week!

No comments: