Thursday, March 05, 2009

Gratineed Chicken and Vegetables in Cream Sauce (Page 361)

RECIPE #952

  • Date: Sunday, February 15, 2009 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+
This recipe came off the list generated by the random number generator. I hadn't made this recipe yet because it looked like it was going to be incredibly rich. Indeed, this was not a light dish. But it also wasn't quite as heavy as I had expected from reading the ingredients. I started by seasoning and browning 2 pounds of chicken thighs and drumsticks in butter. I removed the chicken from the pan and cooked carrots, onions, and a bouquet garni in the remaining fat. I added white wine, then chicken stock, then put the chicken back in, skin side up. I covered it and simmered until the chicken was cooked. Then I stirred creme fraiche and peas into the sauce, and sprikled the whole thing with grated Gruyere. I stuck it under the broiler until the cheese was browned and the sauce was bubbly. This dish was prety tasty. The sauce had a nice flavor -- the wine and Gruyere complemented each other well and the creme fraiche gave it some richness. The chicken was also tasty. Broiling at the end resolved my usual complaint about chicken from The Book, which is that the skin is often soggy. In this case the skin got reasonably crispy. My favorite part of the dish was actually the vegetables, which were tender and flavorful. Yum! My one complaint is that the sauce was very thin. It was surprisingly thin actually -- I had expected the creme fraiche and Gruyere to thicken it up a bit. Although the sauce could have had a better texture, the dish was still tasty and we enjoyed it very much.

Here is the recipe.

Wow, what a busy week this has been! My thesis advisor from graduate school is visiting our department for the week, which has meant there has been a lot of activity, both mathematical and social! There have been lunches, and dinners (including a dinner party at my place), and parties. Add to that many mathematical conversations, and every day has been jam-packed! I hadn't realized before how much stuff I usually get done in the evening after I come home from work. This week I haven't gotten home until around 10pm every night, and consequently I feel very behind. But it has been a lot of fun! Tonight I passed on the social activities and stayed home to try to catch up on a few things (preparing my class for tomorrow, for instance!). Speaking of, I should get back to that now!

No comments: