Sunday, March 29, 2009

Empanada Dough (Page 78)

RECIPE #964

  • Date: Tuesday, March 3, 2009 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Mike M, Teresa, Andrew, and Lars
  • Recipe Rating: C

This recipe was a component of a pork empanada I made to go with dinner several weeks ago. I forgot to take a picture just of the dough, so what you are seeing above is the finished empanada. To prepare this dough I stirred together flour and salt then added a mixture of egg yolk, water, and red wine vinegar. I kneaded the dough very gently then let it sit for 30 minutes. I then rolled it out into a big rectangle, and spread it evenly with a third of a cup of vegetable shortening. I folded it into thirds, then refreigerated it for 15 minutes. Then I rolled it out again into a large rectangle, spread it with another third cup shortening, folded into thirds and refrigerated. I repeated this process again one more time, then refrigerated the dough until I was ready to prepare the empanada. This dough was very disappointing. For one thing, it was incredibly difficult to work with. It was so resistant to being rolled out that I hardly had strength enough to do it. My special gentleman had to help me with the rolling. It was also greasy, as the shortening kept oozing out the sides of the dough, making a huge greasy mess of me, the rolling pin, and the counter. Ick. I would have forgiven the dough all of these flaws had it been exceptionally flaky or delicious, but it was neither. There was nothing special about it. I have made empanadas before, and the dough recipes I have used have never given me problems like this one. The empanada itself was tasty (I will post on that next) but if I make it again, it will certainly be with a different dough recipe.

This recipe isn't online.

I went running along the beach on Friday. I was on the Outer Banks in North Carolina, and while you might think that would be a warm and sunny place this time of year, it was not. It was barely 55 degrees while I was running, and when paired with the pouring down rain and the cold breeze off the ocean, it wasn't the warmest I have ever been. But as I ran along, trying to keep close enough to the water that the sand was packed down, but far enough away that the waves wouldn't fill my shoes with cold, cold water, I couldn't help but think that everything seemed perfect. Things have been going really well lately, and I couldn't help but feel especially blessed while running along the ocean. Day to day, I try to be aware of how lucky I am to have a wonderful fiance, fantastic people in my life, and a job that I love. But I never feel more aware of those things than I do when running in the pouring down rain. The ocean, it turns out, only magnifies the effect.

With some long months of training ahead of me for this marathon, I feel very encouraged by the idea that it will rain, and I will run in the rain.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I love empanadas so I am sorry to hear the dough wasn't so great.

Good luck with your training. I actually like running in the rain if it isn't too torrential.

Teena said...

Yeah, I love empanadas too. The filling in this recipe was definitely worth making again, but the dough was such a pain!