Saturday, March 07, 2009

Creamy Vinaigrette (Page 168)

RECIPE #953

  • Date: Monday, February 16, 2009 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B

I hadn't made this recipe yet because it had raw egg yolk in it, and I am hesitant to serve raw egg to anyone but myself and my special gentleman. We were having a quiet dinner at home one night a few weeks ago though, and I decided to top some salad with this dressing. This was one of the (very) few recipes left in The Book with a Start to Finish time of 5 minutes. Indeed, it was quick! I combined egg yolk, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, shallot, salt, and white pepper together in the blender, then added olive oil in a slow stream, blending until combined. This dressing was fine. It was a little strange in that it almost had the coloring of a dairy based dressing, like ranch, but the flavor of a typical vinaigrette, and a consistency somewhere in between the two. It was a little disorienting. The flavor was perfectly fine. Like any dressing that is predominantly oil and vinegar, it tasted mostly like the vinegar that I used to make it. I didn't dislike this dressing at all, but I also don't feel compelled to make it again.

This recipe isn't online.

When I walked to work on Monday it was 15 degrees outside. When I walked to the office today it was 72. Crazy Midwest weather! I'm not complaining -- this warm-up is a welcome change! Spring is here (at least temporarily!) and I am enjoying it. I wore sandals today, and a sleeveless shirt and I couldn't have been happier! It being the first warm weather of the season also meant that the undergraduates were out in full force today. This evening when I walked home from work I saw two separate groups of students standing in the middle of the sidewalk on a busy street doing jello shots. It was mysterious in that they weren't even particularly near to a bar (although near campus in Bloomington you are never too far from a bar!). They looked quite happy in their spring clothes, with their jello shots in hand.

This weather warm-up also means it is about time I start training for this marathon I said I would run in the fall. I had planned to start training on March 1st, but the 15 degree weather dissuaded me. Now that it has warmed up I have no excuse! Tomorrow I am going to lace up my running shoes and start training!

No comments: